Thursday, March 11, 2010

Our Little Man

We were blessed to have a healthy little grandson this last summer. What a cute little munchkin he has turned out to be. He is Mimi & TheIslandScout’s first child. As a grandparent you always hope that the first child will be an "easy" one-especially if you don’t live close enough to give regular hands-on help.

For the first 2-1/2 months Mimi was sure that BabyE was going to cry for the rest of his life. He liked being held so as long as she didn’t put him down he was happy as a pig in mud. God forbid that she needed time to go to the bathroom or take a shower. He was most happy to serenade her with howls accompanied by a frown and a reddened face. I think she was starting to despair and fear that he would never let her out of his sight. I only gave her one piece of advice that I can remember. I told her, "Remember, smothering is NOT an option!"
Somewhere along about the 3 month mark a miracle happened, our BabyE became the happy-go-lucky little fella you see smiling out at you. Cute could not be cuter. He has turned from crying to smiling and you cannot help but grin back at him. He also knows how to play the game already. He will turn shy and duck his head down when you call his name. He is turning into a ham!

When I am holding him he studies me like he has never seen anything quite like me. (He hasn't). He looks me in the eyes and then studies my hair and then goes back to the eyes again. His gaze is somber. He will not smile, bat an eye, or look away. Eventually I give up and he wins another staring contest. I can see him now in about 16 years giving some cute young chick that same intent look as they gaze into each other’s eyes.

However, for today, he is still a baby and his latest accomplishment is producing a tooth. It poked through his gum sometime yesterday when no one was watching. Any of you mothers out there remember nursing a baby with teeth? Yeah...well...let me tell you-it ain’t for sissies! Our Mimi is about to discover a whole new devilish side to her sweet little BabyE. So...Mimi...this is for you- don’t be fooled by those guileless eyes and batted lashes in that ever-so-sweet-and-adorable face. Beware! Nursing is not without its dangers now. I think SweetCheeks has summed it up best, "Hims bites"!
your photo name

1 comment:

If SHE can figure it out.......... said...

When he decides to bite, then I decide to wean him. :)