Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crustless Quiche For Sunday Morn

I think most of you know
that I gave up
Sugar and Flour
on July 18th last year.

It has been an amazing
transformation.
I feel so much better
and my clothes fit better
and I am happier with myself
all the way around.

Of course it means
I DON'T
eat any of these anymore....
(click on image to visit this beautiful bakery)

There are things that
I do eat..that I have found ways to adapt
Did you know that
I LOVE QUICHE?

Now, I'm sure you are thinking
HOW CAN
you eat quiche if you don't eat
FLOUR....cuz we all
KNOW that
Quiche has Crust.
Right?
Wrongo-Amigo!
MY QUICHE
is made with
NO CRUST.
I forms it's
OWN CRUST
as it bakes.

You need
4 eggs
1 cup grated cheese of choice
green onion tops- cut up
Crumbled bacon
(or the lazy woman's
precooked Bacon Bits)
REAL BACON BITS
You decide how much.
I used about 2/3 of the package.
Please don't
use those stinking
imitation bacon bits..
just sayin' ~cuz my friend,
Sandy, lives on a pig farm
and her hubby likes the business..
and he thanks you
for using the real thing!

2 cups of cream
(or milk or half & half)
Mix together.
Pour into a greased pie dish.
Bake @ 400º for 15 minutes
then lower oven to 350º
and bake another 30 minutes
or until knife inserted in center
comes out clean.
Let  it set up for about 15 minutes.
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Slice and eat...
oh....baby....good!
This has kind of a custard set
to it..and it is even better
the second day.

edited at 8am to add:
This is best made using cream or
half & half.  Otherwise,
the ones made with milk get
a bit watery on the bottom
if they sit too long.
If I do make it with milk
I just absorb the water from
the bottom of the pie pan with a
paper towel when I lift
each piece out.  The quiche itself
does NOT turn watery.

What'll I think of next?
Hmmmmm..
That's what
MyHero is always wondering.
Poor guy!
Doncha feel sorry for him?

Recipe:
4 eggs
2 cups cream (milk or 1/2 & 1/2)
sliced green onions to taste
1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
1 cup grated cheese

Grease a pie pan.
Layer in bacon, cheese, onions,
Beat 4 eggs and add milk to them.
Pour over contents in pan.
Bake at 400º for 15 mins
Lower heat and bake at 350º
for another 30-40 minutes
or until knife inserted in center
comes out clean.
Using cream it usually takes another
15 minutes or so.
Salt & pepper to taste and enjoy~
your photo name

36 comments:

Jettie said...

Sounds delicious, and easy. You know how I love easy.

Lynne said...

Quiche is my very favorite! This is a a nice, healthy version...YUM!
Have a great Sunday, Sweet D!
~Lynne
[w/L]

Patty Patterson said...

I've never even tried Quiche, so I have no clue whether I'd like it or not. But - I don't eat pork, so I'd skip the bacon and make a vegetarian quiche.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You are MY hero, Diana! I have gotten the crustless quiche at Trader Joe's when I first had to go gluten free, but it is not a place I normally pass by. I have to plan a trip there. I love quiche and I am definitely going to try this recipe!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love quiche and your right ...we don't need no stinking crust!!

I am going to try it!

Susie said...

Diana, I like quiche, so I should try that. I am in awe that you haven't eaten flour for that long or sugar. I read once that the average American used to eat 1 five pound bag of sugar a year....now it's 32 five pound bags, what with it included in prepackaged things. Yikes. No wonder this country is over weight. Smiles, Susie (She Junks)

Pam Kessler said...

I am so going to make that. I went without sugar and flour for a few years and was feeling so good. And then I fell off the wagon. I need to climb back on that wagon.

Unknown said...

Uhh... YUM! That looks SO good - and I love quiche, I'm definitely gonna try this one soon.

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Good morning, D!

Eggs, bacon, cheese, green onions? Oh, yes.
Mine is getting a load of jalapeños, of course!

xxx, T.

Donna said...

Oh this does sound lovely! I will need to adapt for my Sweetie and me - rice milk and egg whites, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for the yummy recipe ideas!

Blessings,
Donna

Debby said...

I will copy down this recipe. I have been gluten free for almost 2 years.....and have started to cut back on sugar. Finding that hard. I have celiac so no choice on the gluten. I haven't lost weight though, go figure.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Sounds sooooooo good and I love Quiche. Hugs, Marty

Simple Pleasures said...

Yummm,
I'll be right over for breakfast. Looks so yummy!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

mmm, sounds great!!!!!
Do you mind me asking, do you still find ways to eat cookies, or cup cakes at all, I was just thinking birthdays or parties, I'm very curious of this,bravo for you, thats quite an accomplishment.
I have heard that arthritis and inflammatory diseases love sugar!!

Japolina said...

My boys love quiche. They love bacon (even though I never once cooked it in my house...that is a special treat at grandma's)I'm going to make it for them this week for a dinner.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Diana, when you make this again, holler and I'll be over in a flash! What a wonderful recipe, I think I can just taste it now by your description and great recipe! I am hungry now.

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Hmmm! That looks delicious! i am also trying to avoid flower and sugar...sometimes more succesful than others...
I pinned this recipe to my "recipe" board.
Thanks!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

This is the second quiche recipe today...I think I will need to make one this week...you all make me in the mood!!

Nellie said...

This sounds delicious! Quiche is popular here.:) To make it vegetarian, I will add some steamed veggies - broccoli, mushrooms, etc. - instead of meat.
Actually, I have omitted the crust from my quiche recipe several times. I just spray my pie dish with no stick spray, and it works out fine. I generally use FF half and half or FF evaporated milk. Just as you mentioned, that helps avoid that watery effect.
Great recipe, and great adaptation, Diana! I'm not as good a woman as you! Flour and sugar - oh, my! I seem to need some of both every day.:-)

Gypsy Heart said...

I'm sure it's delish! Wish I had your discipline. Sorry I haven't been around lately...I have missed you.

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

I'm sure it's delish! Wish I had your discipline. Sorry I haven't been around lately...I have missed you.

xo
Pat

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, this looks delicious, Diana!!! and to think that you get pics while you're cooking!!! You're a star!!!
Love,
Cindy

Rebecca Nelson said...

Sounds fab to me. I live in WWatchers Maintenance so this will be a treat. I also eat very little sugar and flour~

Love you girl~

Rebecca

mo said...

You are an inspiration.

Sounds like something we all need to do.

well done.

*hugs*

mo

Blondie's Journal said...

It's been a long time since I made quiche and now I have a craving for it. It's on next weeks menu!

XO,
Jane

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

That looks so yummy! I love quiche too , but never learned to make it, i dont even believe that i know how to spell it, lol......Congrats to u for giving up something for better health. Ur an inspiration Diana.....thanks so much for stopping by.............Bonnie

outjunking said...

No sugar please don't tell me this! I have coffee with my sugar. I love quiche but no sugar of any kind. I am going to have to let this rest on my brain a while.
I'l get back later,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, this sounds so yummy! I'm amazed that it forms the crust! I love quiche! I want to give this a try! Thank you for sharing such a yummy recipe!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found me too, bcause that means I found you back :) Sounds yummy.....but oh my....no flour OR sugar. I'm not sure i can live in that world :)
xojana

Anonymous said...

Love crustless quiches. Thanks so much for the recipe, I'll definitely make that, and cheers for the tip if using milk.

x

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks so good, Diana! I love quiche and often make mine with a hash brown crust. I am gluten free and know I would love this recipe!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I have made crustless quiche, too...when I am doing Dr. Atkins...and I love it! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Jenni said...

Oh, that looks SO good! And how much easier it will be to make without the crust, too! LOVE this idea, and I will be making your recipe your way this week! Thank you for the recipe! :)

Did you have a good weekend? I sure hope so, and hope you have a great Monday!

Blessings,
Jenni

Rebekah said...

I am so going to try this here in Madisi! We have a couple of sort of pie pan looking things....I'll put up a picture on my blog once I give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

YUM! I think my guys would love this. Thanks for sharing!

Annesphamily said...

Oh this quiche look so wonderful! How do you get around not eating sugar? My goodness, you are a trooper!