Monday, January 16, 2012

Fixing A Few Blogger Problems- Blank White Screen And More

Well,
I don't know if this is the
Cure-All
Be-All
Do-All
but I 
DO KNOW that
it has worked for me
as far as being able 
to receive comments
on my blog.

I had two helpers.
The first was Tete
She helped me out with several
things yesterday.
Things that most of you 
already know how to do.
Go visit her- she's a crazy broad
but I love her.

The second one was 
Kathy  from 
She told me how to fix
my comment section so that
it would be in a 
POP UP mode
rather than embedded
below my post.
Easy-peasy-
following her directions..
even for a computer idiot
like myself.

If I can do this- 
Anyone can.
Trust me.

To Change Your Comment
Into A Pop-Up Box..
(which seems to eliminate
the dreaded white screen)
Go to your dashboard.
Click on Settings 
Click on Comments
(the one UNDER the settings tab-
not the one next to it)
Scroll down until you see
where you have the option of
Pop Up and click on the little circle there.
Make sure you SAVE it by clicking
the Save button.

The other biggie is 
WORD VERIFICATION.
I f you are not
in the CIA
or a 
Federal Agent you probably
don't need it.
(or if you haven't been a target
of spammers)
Blogger does a pretty good 
job of killing the spammers off
before they ever hit your blog.
Having to verify a scrambled
word makes many people 
leave without posting.
So...if you aren't getting
as many comments
as you would like,
word verification
might be on and you
aren't even aware of it.
Here's how to check.

Go to Dashboard.
Click on Settings.
Click on Comments.
(the one UNDER the settings tab-
not the one next to it...
don't ask me HOW I know this, m'kay?;>)
Scroll down.
There is a box that says
Show Word Verification For Comments
Click NO
Then scroll down and hit SAVE.
Presto..
You're done.
So easy even a 5 year old can do it.
Even though she might pick
a bow that is too big for her head.
I also went to 
Chrome Google
and installed it...
this gal that has never installed
anything on her computer before..
crazy, huh?
Anyway~
Just google it and it will
lead you right through the process
of installing it.  It does make your
computer much faster
and it puts an icon on your desk top.
When asked if you want to make that
your Default server. Click yes...and
you are good to go!
your photo name

29 comments:

Susie said...

Hello Diana, yippee. I can leave a comment again. this is th type of comment section that it's easy for me to leave comments. so happy for you to be all fixed up. Smiles, xoxo, Susie

Nancy's Notes said...

Great post Diana! Thank you so much!!

Have a great day!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Great Diana!
I was thinking of suggesting the pop-up box to you but I wasn't sure if that was the problem.
I hate word verification too and I may try google chrome, thanks for sharing!
It's a sad day in Wisconsin....hubby hardly slept, he takes it quite hard.
Cindy

Jettie said...

Glad you finally installed Google Chrome, it won't be long before you forget how to use IE.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Everyone should use a pop up comment box!!

The white comment screen seems to be another Blogger/Internet Explorer issue. Blogger must have tweaked something that caused this to start happening last week. Lately, I've been blogging as usual with IE until I encounter a problem, then I open Firefox and continue on my way.

At your suggestion, I am experimenting (again) with turning off my word verification. I don't mind typing a few extra characters when I comment, and I guess I didn't realize that lots of other folks DO mind. If the Russian spammers descend upon me and spam me to pieces again, I'm going to turn it back on.

Anonymous said...

well thats a releif, I have done this also, I haven't had any troubles so far except i lost my blog list yesterday, it ran away from home never to be seen,

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Thanks for the helpful info. I had problems leaving comments a while back. Switching to Google Chrome took care of that, plus I love how my computer is faster now!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Well, thanks, I can finally leave a comment for you, no blank screen! Yeah!
I switched to google chrome a while ago but recently the trouble started with some blogs showing up with just a blank screen when I would click on comments, I fooled aroung with it last night and I think...fingers crossed... it's fixed:) Glad everything turned out for you...blogger don't you just love it?

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I already use pop up and yes, I wish everyone would say no to word verification. I switch back and forth from firefox and chrome. I am used to firefox, but may switch to chrome for good.

Patty Patterson said...

Yay!!!!! It's working! Your blog opened up and so did the comment box. Now, we'll see if it will post!

Patty Patterson said...

Much, MUCH Better!

Debi WeeFaerie said...

Glad you got it working again! Google Chrome is definitely the way to go. I haven't used IE in years.

Marti said...

I use Chrome and love it. I have Firefox and IE installed as a couple of sites require them in order to communicate, but other than that is is Chrome for me. I'm glad that you got all your blogger issues resolved. It takes the fun out of blogging if you have to fight the program.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thanks for the shout out, Diana! : ) I am so glad I can comment on your blog again! I've been missing some of my blogging friends because of this Blogger "enhancement".

Nellie said...

You have been busy, Diana. I need tech support just about everyday!:-) Still working on tweaking my little blog. I wonder if I will ever get it right! I'm going to try the suggestions you have outlined at some point.

Cindy Adkins said...

Thank you, Diana! I've been getting the dreaded white screen lately! ugh...great tips! Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cindy

Donna said...

Hi Diana,

I'll email you later because I was one like you that was changed in blogger. Thought I should just get used to it. On Firefox now, I can't post photos to my blog, so I have to use IE. We thought it was the new computer configurations, but all of this happened at the same time. I need to ask you what Google Chrome is and what does it do?

Cindy Adkins has been helping me with some other problems, but this was new to her and she hasn't encountered my photo problems. She is another Dear Angel when it comes to helping.

I'll be sending you an email shortly.

Blessings,
Donna

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Wow, I'm glad you are up and running again. I am having a problem leaving comments on several blogs. I have always used popup and don't have word verification. I understand a few people are having ploblems leaving me a comment too. But some people are able to leave me comments. I'm sick of all this! I'm really annoyed! It's no wonder why Blogger and Google don't have a consumer complaint number listed!!!
PS.If you have a problem leaving me a comment would you please send me an email so I know about it? Thanks. XO

michelle said...

I am so glad that it is working for you! I had trouble leaving comments yesterday but it seems to be ok today. I changed over to these a couple weeks ago and so far so good. :)
xoxo

Ruth Kelly said...

Thank you. It was very helpful for my blogger. I have been blogging for only a year and still working things out.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Thank you for the much needed public service announcement!

Debby said...

Hi there. This is all so confusing. I am afraid to touch anything for fear it will all go away.
About the little house, it is not the one being used for events. This one is tiny and looks deserted. The mansion is huge, I will post pictures of that soon.
Thanks for stopping by.

The enchanted home said...

Word verification makes me nuts, I mean unless you are getting 500 comments and 100 of them are horribly mean..whats the point? Just a pet peeve...but doesn't keep me from still visiting some of my favorite blogs, just annoys me a wee bit:)

Susan Shull said...

So glad to find your blog! I don't feel so bad about emailing a complete stranger today and asking for help with my own blog. I will be back to visit again for sure!

Petie said...

I just happened upon your blog, and had to laugh about the blogger issue. I too did what you did, with the new format, just checking it out and wham, my blog changed and I couldn't get the old one back. I love blogging but hate that we are left in limbo with blogger. Now I have a new look. I kind of liked my old one, but not anything I can do about it now. Hope you were able to work out your stuff...

Heaven's Walk said...

Gosh, Diana....before you know it we'll be calling you a computer geek! lol!

xoox laurie

Japolina said...

I'm new to blogging so I appreciate the tips

Anonymous said...

Great post! I did it! Yeah! Great directions! I'm not a computer person either, so thank you! I appreciate your help!

Pam Kessler said...

Well, heck. I just changed back to full screen comments a few days ago so I could have the Reply thing under my comments. Guess I'll be going back to the pop ups. I bet when they coded the Reply thing, they screwed up the full screen comment thing.