Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Southern Time And The Living Is Easy

Tell the truth now..
When you heard that song
didn't the old song
Summertime
run through your head?

You know I have cut way back
on my subscriptions.
I got
"SweetCheeks talked"
into buying a couple
of magazines for
the school fundraiser.
What better place to 
spend my money, I ask you.

So...this one is one of my choices.
Oh...such pretties in here.
I love them all.
It makes me want to move
SOUTH 
all over again.
Cuz you 
KNOW I LOVE
the South!

Look at this!
Couldn't you just move
right into this sweet 
little house?
The picket fence and 
the bike just put it over
the top for me.
Or how about this house?
It is owned by
 AJ & Karina Gentinetta.
This dear house
 was totally destroyed
by Hurricane Katrina
but rebuilt and is
 better than ever.
There is also some amazing and
 serious decorating
going on inside.
AND
What good Southerner
worth her salt
doesn't serve
something like this
to her family and friends?
And here's the recipe from
the magazine.

 Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake - Southern Living Magazine April 2012
1 cup chopped pecans
Parchment Paper/Masking tape
2 T Cornstarch
1/8 t salt
7 egg WHITES-room temp
½ t Cream of tartar
2 (8oz) containers mascarpone cheese
2 t vanilla extract
3 cups whipping cream
4-1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries plus some halved for top
Preheat oven to 350º- Bake pecans 10-12 mins on shallow pan and toast until toasted and fragrant. Remove from oven and  cool completely. Turn oven temp down to 250º
Cover 2 large sheets with parchment paper.Draw 2 (8”) circles on parchment. (4 circles total)
Process cornstarch , toasted pecans, a ½ cup sugar in food processor or blender 40-45 seconds until pecans are finely ground.
Beat egg whites & cream of tartar on high speed with electric mixer until foamy.  Gradually add 1 cup sugar (1 T at a time) at medium-highspeed until mixture is glossy, soft peaks form, and sugar dissolves. (2-4 minutes-do not overbeat).  Add half the pecan mixture, gently folding in just until blended.  Repeat procedure with remaining pecan mixture.
Gently spoon egg white mixture onto circles drawn on parchment paper (about 1-1/2 cups mixture per circle) Spread to cover 8” circle completely. Bake at 250º for 1 hour.  Turn baking sheets after 30 minutes. Turn oven off After 1 hour and let meringues stand in closed oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. (When done~Meringue will be dry and can be lifted from sheet without sticking to fingers)
Just before serving stir together cheese and vanilla in large bowl just until blended.Then, beat whipping cream at low speed until foam.  Increase speed to medium high and gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar.  Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone cheese mixture.
Carefully remove meringue from parchment paper and place on serving plate.  Spread ¼ mascarpone mixture over meringue.  Top with 1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries.  Repeat layer 2 more times and top with remaining meringue, mascarpone cheese mixture and halved strawberries.  Serve immediately or chill for up to 2 horus.  Cut with sharp, thin-bladed knife.

IF YOU MAKE THIS 
please make sure I am
on the 
PEOPLE-TO-INVITE 
list.
I promise to leave all
the naughty ones home!
your photo name

23 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

This is a good one. Of course I love it because I do live in the South. I love those desserts in the trifle bowls...so easy and so good.

Susie said...

Diana, You know that grandparents are the kids number customers.:) I have ordered magazine from school kids too. Love the bike. Smiles, Susie(She Junks)

Jettie said...

What a good gramma you are to buy those.

Marilyn said...

YOU are such a FAB grandmommy.. I adore the bike.. So wonderful.. Wishing you a great Tuesday.. xoxox

Special 'K' said...

Thanks for sharing the receipe. I have a few friends and we each buy a magazine and we get together and swap once a fortnight. Its great. It has become so expensive. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Anonymous said...

Now Diana, my cake is so much easier to make and just as pretty! LOL.....sweet post! xo

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

You can go broke when the family kids start their fundraisers, can't you? And then come the neighbor kids and your friend's kids....Oy!
Now you have me wanting a strawberry cake, Diana.
Move on down here to the South asap. I'll be waiting for my cake, my BFF.

Rae said...

I like that aqua bike also!!!
The cake looks yummy, I may need to try this recipe out...I'm in Texas,
come on down!! hehehehe

Pam Kessler said...

I want to live in that last house. To me it's the quintessential southern home. I had to google how to spell quintessential BTW. I can't spell like I used to!

Karena said...

Hello sweet Diana...oooh that cake looks so tasty ...I won't be baking it for us any time soon but it's fun to have the recipe in case something special pop's up...hope your week is a blessing...much love to you friend !!!!

Karena A Loblolly Life

Alleluiabelle said...

Thank you Diana for stopping by and praying for our grandson. I have become a new follower of yours today and I'm so very happy to meet you.

I would be very pleased if you would post about my grandson. The power of prayer in numbers is so vitally important.

Again, I'm happy to introduce myself to you and look forward in coming by to visit.

Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Tete said...

How did I miss this? HMMMMM....
No- I'm not senile yet, but working on it. Love the houses and I am ready for fresh strawberries. Saw some of them planted 2 weeks ago, hope they don't freeze tonight.
Hope you are doing ok today- had a great day here!

Laura said...

That looks delish diana!! and so do the homes! how sad that hurricane katrina devistated so many places, ruined so many lives... it doesnt seem real to me, way over here in another country on the other side of the world. but every now and then, something you see or read just brings it into reality a little more...
hope you have a great day today!
laura xxx

Anonymous said...

I always loved this magazine. These homes are adorable and oh, that dessert!!!!! Have you ever looked at a Southern Lady magazine...it's another sweet one!

NanaNor's said...

Hi sweet friend, Oh how I love these beautiful homes and the gardens-oh heart be still. I too have loved Southern Living but don't get it any more. Have a great week.
Hugs, Noreen

Susan@avintagefarmwife said...

Southern Living is one magazine that I still subscribe too. Love those pics!

Holly said...

This cake looks amazing! I read the list with "maybe I could do this" until I saw the masking tape and mascarpone. Now, I know the masking tape is to assist, but I think that's where I thought, "u-oh"...I don't think I can do this...that's why I love making brownies (in a box) and people say they are the best brownies ever! Of course, I have to tell them my secret - it's in a box...I think most of my cooking is. Maybe that is why I love the South too...for their fanciness, elegance and amazing recipes! =0)
xo
Holly

Donna said...

We're just off the magazine lists - finally! Now we have been signing them up for mags! American Girl, National Geo. etc. This way they get the credit and the reading material. (ours are full of ads)

Great cause for our wee ones!

Hugs,
Donna

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Since I have moved to the South, I have the subscription now. Just love it and the strawberry dessert looks so delicious!

Ivy and Elephants said...

....and that's what I love about the South! Gorgeous pics and the recipe sounds and looks so yum!I was hoping you were making and inviting ME over! LOL
Hugs,
Patti

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

The cottages and the cake are a dream. Thanks for sharing!

Gypsy Heart said...

My favorite magazine! Being in the South is a privilege and an honor I think. :-)

xo
Pat
P.S. Wish you were too! I do think that we would be dangerous together though.

Diana LaMarre said...

I was just reading that same magazine. It's one of the very few I still get. I don't even live in the South........go figure...I just like the decorating and recipes.