Monday, May 29, 2017

A TRIBUTE TO ALL OF OUR SERVICE PEOPLE


I wrote this for Memorial Day

a few years ago but I think it is

relevant every day.

This means even more to me now that I am

volunteering at the VA Center here. 



Memorial Day is here once more,

We fly the flags above our door,

We plant our flowers that mark the grave,

Of every soldier that was so brave,



They fought for freedom for everyone,

Many lives snuffed out by a sniper's gun.

We proudly march in our little bands,

As daybreak filters across our lands,



But I wonder if we can truly see,

What cost it was to make us free.



Confederate soldiers fought the Yanks,

Some brothers fought brothers in those ranks,

To free the downtrodden that were lost,

To free all men at any cost.



My father was a medic in World War One,

A war not talked about by anyone,

Some men lost limbs and some were gassed,

Some were picked up by comrades, others 

bypassed.



World War II! How tragic indeed,

People standing by watching others bleed.

Souls thrown to the winds with no remorse,

Foreign government standing on their own 

course.



Vietnam was not a war they said,

Then how come so many soldiers ended up 

dead?

No heroes welcome for them in sight,

They slunk home in the dead of night.



Should I go on-with Korea & Desert Storm?

Iran? Afghanistan? Are you getting warm?

Do you feel the pain you see in their face?

Does it make you squirm in your warm, safe 

place?


I've just one more thing I'd like to say,

It's about celebrating Memorial Day,

Look around and everything you see,

Was paid out in blood so that we are free.

Put your hand on your heart,

For the blue, white and red,

Raise your eyes to the flag,

Say a prayer for the dead.


Because of a soldier I can have my say,

So ~God Bless you this Memorial Day~


And To All Our Soldiers-

your photo name

30 comments:

Lisa said...

This is beautifully written. God bless!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Diana. My maternal grandfather was killed in WWII; I am thankful to ALL who gave their lives for our freedom.
Blessings to you today. xo

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Excellent poem, Diana!

Kathy said...

Beautiful. Thank you, Diana!

Unknown said...

Moving, Diana ... heart felt love

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Thank you! Very touching!

Debby Ray said...

Beautifully written and so meaningful. Thank you!

Wild Oak Designs said...

Amen!!

Chatty Crone said...

Amen - my husband served in Vietnam. Have a nice day.

Connie said...

Amen!!! This is a beautiful post.

Nonnie said...

Too many have died for our freedoms. Too many (myself included) take that freedom for granted. Too many abuse that freedom. Thanks for re-posting.

Susie said...

Diana, This post is beautiful. I know that your working at the VA is an up close and personal view of those that served our country. Bless them and bless you. xoxo, Susie

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Thank you for posting your piece, Diana. I hate war and what it does to all of us, but I thank the brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice. God help us all. xo ♥

Attic Clutter said...

lovely post Diana..
hugs,Patty

Carla said...

Thanks Diana. My dad was a medic in WW II.

Jettie said...

My dad got his back broken while on practice maneuvers before he was to be sent overseas during WW ll He spent 13 months in the hospital in California, with no family nearby. That was before he married.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Beautiful post Diana. I was thinking this morning that I have lived long enough to see the WWII, Korean War, Viet Nam, Dessert Storm and now all that crap that is going on in the middle east. I sure hope that we are not going to be getting into another one.

Have a terrific week and God Bless you for taking care of all that wonderful vets.

Hugs,
Mary

Cranberry Morning said...

Amazing and profound poem, Diana! God bless those fallen and those they left behind to grieve their loss. Have a wonderful week. The veterans are blessed to have you as a volunteer! xo

Kay G. said...

I know I have told you this before but I hope you read this to your guys at the VA center. I know they would like it.

Launna said...

Diana, this is beautiful... we really do need to be grateful for the freedom we have because of people that protected us in wars and died for us... so very thoughtful xox

I just wanted to let you know I will be writing you soon, I am just trying to catch up with all my blogs, being away for 2 months put me way behind... I am just giving one comment per blog, otherwise I would never get caught up... lol xox

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Great poem! It is relevant everyday.

Rose L said...

We always should be thankful for those who gave for us all to ensure our freedom and lives.

This N That said...

Amen..Beautiful post

This N That said...

Amen..Beautiful post

Rue said...

Beautiful, Diana.... just beautiful. You gave me chills.

xoxo,
rue

Down On The Farm said...

Wow. That is truth right there. Our country is free today because of the men and women who have taken the oath and put their lives on the line. It is a shame how we have treated our veterans. They deserve far more than we can ever repay. God bless America!

Creations By Cindy said...

Dianna, how precious is this post and poem. Made me tear up. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lori said...

I agree, agree, agree so thankful.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

This was such a beautiful tribute!! :0)

Vee said...

That was great. A poet's heart beats within thy breast. It is not the easiest topic and you did well to capture something from every war.