Sunday, December 17, 2023

NEVER FAIL MICROWAVE CARAMELS....QUICK AND EASY!

  Every couple of years I post

this recipe because people

LOVE IT!

AND- you can't screw it up.

 When I was a kid,

 my mother

often whipped up a batch 

of fudge from scratch

after the chores were done

on a snowy Pennsylvania night.

I make caramels instead.
As you can tell, I love to bake

and make candy.

I don't know how many 

caramel recipes I have tried

over the years.

Some of them called for

stirring for what seemed hours

and then...

they might or might not

"turn out".

These are quick!
Less than 10 minutes from
start to finish AND they
NEVER FAIL 
to set up properly.

I am not sure how these would 
turn out if you have an old
low wattage microwave.
I think most of them are at least
1000 watts now.
I have made them in 1000W,
1200W & 1500W mics
and the timing is the same.
(if you want to double check use
a candy thermometer and it should
read between 240˚-245˚ when done)

Ready?
Get yourself a nice big 
microwave measuring cup.
I use an 8 cup one.
Make sure it is microwave safe.

Before I start-
One warning-
You CANNOT double this recipe.
You would have to make two batches
if you want more.

Everything that is measured out
is in 1/2 cup increments.

Melt 1/2 cup butter.
Remove from microwave.
Add 1/2 cup Karo syrup (I use white Karo),
1/2 cup light brown sugar,
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweetened CONDENSED MILK
(not evaporated milk)

Stir until mixed and dissolved.
Microwave on high 3-1/2 minutes.
Stir down.


Microwave on high 3-1/2 more minutes.
Remove from mic.  Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts-if desired- I don't.
Stir until few air bubbles remain.


Pour into 8x8 HEAVILY buttered dish.
Refrigerate just until set.


Cut into squares.
(Sometimes I pull the whole works
out of the pan and cut the squares
using kitchen scissors).

NOTE:  Cut before these are completely
cold and hard.  If they are too hard,
let them warm up for a while
then you will be able to cut them.

You can wrap these if they last long enough.
Ours never seem to make it to the
wrapped stage!



If you do have some left to wrap
they make a perfect little 
take-along gift in a pretty 'card box',
like the post before this with the fudge in it!

I hope you have a most
wonderful, blessed
SUNDAY!!!!

CARAMEL RECIPE:
1/2 Cup real butter
1/2 Cup KARO syrup
1/2 Cup light brown sugar
1/2 Cup graulated white sugar (not confecionery sugar)
1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk (Not Evaporated Milk)
        (I use the Eagle Brand-It's better than other kinds for this particular recipe)

DIRECTIONS:
Use a LARGE Pyrex (or other) Measuring cup (mine is 8 cups)
WARNING- MAKE SURE IT IS MICROWAVE PROOF!

Melt 1/2 cup of butter in microwave.
Remove from microwave.

Stir in:
KARO syrup, light brown sugar, white sugar, Sweented condensed milk.
Stir until well blended and sugars are dissolved.
Microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes.

Remove from microwave.
Stir down.

Put back in microwave.
Microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes.

Remove from Microwave.
Add 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla.
Add nuts at this point if so desired.

Stir well until air bubbles are just about all gone.

Pour into HEAVILY BUTTERED 8x8 pan and put in fridge.
Let them set but not get super hard. If they get too hard they will be too hard to cut.  If that happens put them in a warm oven for a few minutes until they soften slightly.

Cut into squares while still soft.  
Sometimes I pull the whole thing out of the pan and use
kitchen shears to cut into strips and then squares from the strips. 
Wrap squares in wax paper squares and twist ends shut.

If you use DARK KARO SYRUP you get a darker caramel but we prefer the lighter ones.
your photo name

21 comments:

Cecilia said...

Oh girl, you’re killing me! First fudge and now these! Mercy! lol. I love caramel. I need these asap! (Guess it’s a good thing it’s a fast recipe haha). Merry, merry Christmas!
Cecilia ❤️

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I used to love making fudge like this with my friends when I was a teenybopper. So many, many years ago now!

Junkchiccottage said...

These are so yummy. Who does not love a good Carmel!!!! Have a good week. Hugs. Kris

Lisa said...

I love this recipe.
I also like making caramel sauce.
Lisa

Bill said...

My mother used to make fudge, it was the best. Caramel sounds great though. Have a lovely and peaceful Christmas, Diana.

J. S. Vila said...

Is so wonderful to know how to cook this sweet candys. At home in Christmas we like to do almond nougat, that is made in home and really good too. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy new year!!

Cheryl Kimbley said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Sweet hugs, Diane

happyone said...

Oh this is wonderful. I've copied it before and have made it quite a few times. It is always a hit. Thanks.

Ann said...

Yum. Looks delicious.

This N That said...

Fudge and Caramels..Sweets for the sweet from the sweet!!! xxoo

Bless said...

Yum! Next year, I'm going to ask Santa for a higher wattage microwave just so I can make this fudge! Mine's old and only 700 watts.

jack69 said...

AS ALWAYS. Just sweet I mean SWEET!
Smiling down here in South Florida....

Tom said...

...low cal I assume? ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

Rose L said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Caramels and BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES ARE FAVES OF MINE!!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I remember these caramels. They look incredible. You know, I've always loved caramels, but homemade ones are even better. These would be a wonderful gift at Christmastime. Oh, they look Yummy, Diana. ; ) I like that vintage card too!

Sheri

Theresa said...

YUMMMMMY, I am going to give this a try! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Diana, Ia love caramel but I'm still trying to bake some cookies and I can't even get those done. I love thinking about it though..Merry Christmas xxoJudy

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I'm drooling for these but I'm diabetic now so I'd only allow one, cut in four! LOL... Have a Merry Christmas!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks.
Thinking of you and wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.

All the best Jan

Far Ago Farm said...

Kind of like the Grinches heart, my jeans size increased ten times just reading this post! Yum, they look delicious. Merry Christmas to you and your precious family! Jane