Thursday, February 2, 2023

MAKING VALENTINES WITH GRANDKIDS---START WITH PROZAC-END WITH WINE

I wrote this a long time ago

but I think it deserves a repeat~


 Grab something with caffeine because

you will be tired when you are done reading this.

Step One:
First you must hang a banner inside 
so the grandkids
will know which holiday they 
are celebrating.

Just a word of caution..
If you hang one
that looks like
the one below..
SOMEONE
(who shall remain nameless)
will be sure to ask..
IS HIMS NAKED?

Your reply should be
Absolutely..
That is why he is
carrying an envelope.
This is sure to produce
a giggle from at
least 2 of the 3 grandkids.
The third one doesn't giggle.

She doesn't giggle 
because she doesn't
"get it".  
She is trying to figure out 
where HIMS got that big of an envelope.


Step Two:
You must lay out supplies.
These will cost somewhere
in the neighborhood
of $459.00...and....
after you buy
ALL THAT STUFF,
you will realize that you have
forgotten at least one or
two crucial supplies..
Like...
Elmer's WASHABLE glue. 
Lord help you if you buy the 
regular Elmer's glue
because it will NOT be pretty!


Now that you have
your supplies home
and have signed the bank loan
to cover the expense..
you must lay out the goodies...
Lay them out nice and neatly..
Sigh over the paper-Oh So Sweet

Step Three:
HANG A FLAG OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR.

A cute little cherub flag
to greet them with a smile.
Isn't it perfect?
Love Mary Englebriet's flags.
Then they arrive bringing presents.
Bringing PRESENTS?
PRESENTS FOR ME?
Yep-these are for Nana..
and they made them all by themselves.

Inside are beautiful little
hearts made with love..
One from Ria.
Two from Lulu...
and one from SweetCheeks.
Of course I must put them all on..
I pick up SweetCheeks...
What does this say, SweetCheeks?
That's jus' sumbuddy ehlse's name
on there...Doan't pay eny
attenshun to the name...
just putt it on..
Whereupon I am informed
by Lulu that
"I told SweetCheeks
NOT to give you that one".
Whereupon SweetCheeks says
NOAH.YOHU.DIDN'T.LULU
an' I dohn't care cuz I am ghiving
it to her enyways! PFFFFFT!
I start the legal paperwork
to change my name to Allison.
Great.. We are off
to a nice, calm start...

Now where were we?
Okay..girls..
Let's get started...
WHO WANTS TO MAKE A VALENTINE?

Everyone's hand shoots into the air.

In short order everything
 looks like this.....
All three girls are
Busy-Busy-Busy
Lulu made this-
 Ria loved the self-stick hearts...

SweetCheeks has changed into 
her 3rd Princess outfit and has busied herself
making th...........
Oh, Dear Lord In Heaven...
While I was refilling my coffee cup,
pray tell WHO handed HER 
the glitter?

There is glitter glitter everywhere..
On the floor and on the chair..
In her mouth and on her hair....
I could go on and on with the
rhyming thingy but I'm afraid
the Dr. Suess police will get me.


An especially nice touch? 


The globs of
glue that dropped here and there
and shine brightly up
from the chair...and the table...
and the floor...and the countertop...
Did I say floor? Ah..yes...
and back to the glitter...
Nothing like glitter on the floor
that can be tracked from
room to room..
Leave NO ROOM untouched
seems to have been the motto
of the day.
I decide I need a bathroom break
to dispose of the 3 gallons of coffee
that I have downed in an effort
to keep up with this
CRAFT DAY WITH THE KIDS.
Lo and behold,
in the small reading nook
(where the old steps used to be)
I SEE THIS!!!
How did all these books get off
the shelf and on the floor?
I ask ever-so-sweetly-
between slightly gritted teeth.
Uh-oh---Here it comes...

Welllll...says SweetCheeks..
Ria toohk a few books off
the shellf and then I helped her
and taked the rest offf..and
we jus' put 'em there for now.

Yeah? Where do you think
you're gonna put them later?

Wellll...It was Ria's idea.
I dunno how they gonna
get bahck on the shelfs.

Hmmmm...I dunno where YOU'RE
gonna go either if you guys don't put
these books back.
All too soon-
hahahahahahahaha
the day ends and we clean up the
mess, they put on their matching
dresses that Nana bought them
 and they get ready to go home.
As you can plainly see 
SOMEONE has been so overworked
she has collapsed in a heap
using her sisters as pillows.
These little girls are big girls now...
but I love them as much as I did 
when they were little like this...
even more...

Kind of bittersweet to look back on 
these special times.

I may invite them over to
do this again this weekend. 

If you don't see me by Monday
I will be glued to a seat somewhere
in the house.
I hope it is in a chair in front of
the computer.

Edited to add:
MyHero reads my blog and says:
 You SPENT $459 ON THIS STUFF?
(Sheeez...don't ya know a joke when you read one?;>)

And -just in case you are wondering-
I don't use prozac or wine-
I just suffer quietly instead.
your photo name
your photo name

44 comments:

Donna said...

Lolol...sounds like YOU had a good time!
Love the matching dresses...and those books!Lolol
You are SO blessed!
hughugs
Donna

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I love this! So sweet seeing the girls from years ago. They're such lovely young women! I hope that if you get glued to a chair it includes glitter to make things more entertaining! 😂 Cute Valentine's and a fun memory! Doesn't get much better than that! Hugs!

living from glory to glory said...

Good Morning!! I do believe I remember this blog post, Made me smile again! Now, where does the time go?
Happy Valentines Day, or lets just go with the whole month!I plan on setting out a few of my Valentine decor today, after I get my carpets shampooed from an already long winter.
Sending A Big Hug To YA...
Roxy

MadSnapper said...

Fond memories for all of you and a cute story to share with us..you never know what kids will say or ask or do for that matter.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Lol, hilarious! I will be known as the nazi mimi because I was the nazi mom who didn't allow glitter in her house.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love this classic post! Glitter, glue, scattered books, $459 in supplies, but especially -- the heart necklace with someone else's name on it, LOL!

Billie Jo said...

What an absolute joy reading this, my friend!!! You had me smiling the whole way through! Oh...that glitter brought back so many memories!!! Yikes! Have a wonderful day!

Jeanie said...

I really want to do this with my boys. I hope it happens but I doubt it will this year. Pity!

I hope you had a LOT of wine. And a good vacuum!

Mevely317 said...

I'm laughing so hard at the girls' back-and-forth. Precious. Thank you for making my morning!

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

What fun and the memories! I love precious! You funny lady, thanks for all the laughs! xoxo Dolly

Vee said...

Sounds like a Wednesday here and every other weekday at my sister's. A hoot for sure! I always feel a tinge of sadness when the children learn proper grammar. I find it difficult to think of these grandgirlies all grown up. ♥️

Pom Pom said...

Glitter is like cockroaches, right? It NEVER goes away.
I'm glad I don't have cockroaches and I have big convictions about keeping this granny's house a glitter free zone. You're nice!
You're not far off about the craft money totals. Argh!

Junkchiccottage said...

Ha Ha you crack me up. I know crafts can be expensive. Also you eat glitter for months.

Carol said...

This is one of the best things I have read today. How true this can be at times and I am looking forward to doing this very thing soon.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such sweet memories with the girls. It is always fun to look back. My, how they have grown into beautiful ladies. Glitter can be a mess. I end up with it on my face all the time when I am shopping. xoxo

Bonnie Schulte said...

What a wonderful old post!!! I am just grinning from ear to ear. Memories with grandchildren are the best. My two oldest were VERY similar to your girls. Always a crafting mess, one time decorating old bowling balls (from GoodWill) gluing on flat colored glass marbles and then filling in with gout, and crying when things didn't stay stuck on the ball. They were to be garden gifts for their other grandmother. I never did see them in her garden, nor anyplace else.Guess they didn't make it that far. (grin)
Your post just really made my day tho. Loved it.
I saw photos of the girls on your Instagram account. Where did the time go??Beautiful young ladies, I must say!!! My two oldest grandgirls are now 30 and 28.Time just marches on...

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are a born comedian! You have given me such a huge laugh today, my first in awhile. I just loved this, and relished every second of it. Plus, WE have three granddaughters too!! And I have done plenty of crafts with them, so I can totally relate and remember! I will add to the mix the MARKERS, which need to be washable. I learned that the hard way, and am looking at a big red streak on our couch to this day. Your granddaughters are beautiful and joyful, and look like they had so much fun with you. Now I am exhausted by proxy and need to get another cup of coffee.

Carla from The River said...

Ha! Oh my!! I LOVE IT!!! Thank you for the good laugh my dear.

Rose L said...

aHHH, sWEET MEMORIES!

nonie everythingsewing said...

Thank you for taking me on a trip back, when life was so much easier!.

bobbie said...

Thanks for the grins and giggles this morning!

Terri D said...

I giggled all the way through this!! Those girls look so precious!! xo

Lorrie said...

Loved this! Laughter all around. You write so well.

Bill said...

What wonderful memories, made me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely and fun post. The little girls are so cute in their dresses. The Valentines are so pretty and festive.
Joan,Marion and Marilyn

Debby said...

I laughed and smiled all the way through this - reminds me of the days when mine were small and I also had a small family daycare in my home. I absolutely detest glitter! Too many times, I have had to wash out a child's eyes, to get the glitter out and finally I stopped using it due to the liability.

Really cute post. and thanks for the laugh.

Linda said...

I am so with you on these kinds of parties!
This year I am freeing myself from seasonal crafts! Or at least I think I am. Valentines has always been my LEAST favorite holiday and I am not doing one single thing in the way of decorating for it this year. Not mailing out cards (well maybe just one here and there but to friends - no kids) and I may or may not make some sugar cookies for Louis Dean.
I sound a little bah humbug, don't I? I'm really not - I just decided to cut back on any and everything that I don't really enjoy doing. And then my grands are all every single one old enough to do cards all by themselves.
But maybe a fall craft might be in order.....I should have enough $$ put aside by then to pay for it!

jack69 said...

Love it. I know the kids love their NanaDiana! Enjoyed the read and photos, SWEET. Take care and stay warm.
Love from a cool and rainy NC.
Sherry & jack

This N That said...

I remember this...Fun post...I think with inflation, you need to increase the amount you spent on all that stuff...
Loved seeing the pictures of the "little" girls..Those were the days..
Glitter can be a real mess but some of us can't get along without it..
Hope you had a good day my friend..

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Diana,
OMG!! I was laughing so hard...I loved it!! Too cute and too funny!! Thanks so much for sharing again! It made my night!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Red Rose Alley said...

Fun times for sure, and great memories. And I love that Mary Engelbreit flag! I do remember this post. I have always loved sending Valentine cards to my kids and now my grandkids. It's something I do every year. They love it too. Oh, these are all wonderful Valentines, but Ria's white heart doily got to me. ; )

~Sheri

Lisa said...

This is too cute.
And there is always strong coffee.
Lisa

Bless said...

Oh, my! The good old days! Reminds me of the time I invited my cousin's daughter over to join me and my daughter make cookies one time - there was colored sugar and sprinkles everywhere!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such a classically hilarious post Diana! Children and their insights are so comical! Love it! This was a wonderful flashback from the past! Would be fun to have a "re-do" someday with them!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Great memories to enjoy again. Oh to be little again! I did the same with my children and swept up glitter for months and months! I too thank you for all the SMILES today!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I love your sweet stories about your darling granddaughters,Diana. What a treasure that they can look back and read them. Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

And WHO bought the glitter?? 🤣 Sweet memories! Thanks for sharing them! ❤️

Ann said...

LOL, what a day to remember.

Theresa said...

I enjoyed this post so much:) I just had my little great-grands for a few days and we made Valentine cards. It was SO much fun, lots of cutting and gluing, smiles all around when the cards were finished. Making memories to keep in our hearts. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

John's Island said...

Hi Diana, This post will have me smiling all day. 😊 What a sweet post it is! I do not have any grandkids, however, after enjoying your post, I can see why folks say happiness is being a grandparent! Wishing you, the grandkids, and your hero a happy weekend! John

Woody said...

Sounds like a Great Time and a Great Memory Maker !!

Lowcarb team member said...

What wonderful memories ... I'm laughing :)

All the best Jan

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

This is the best post, Diana! I needed a good laugh on a Monday morning! What great memories!

Katie Isabella said...

I loved each and every word and picture!

XXXOOO