Sunday, May 26, 2019

MEMORIAL DAY TRIBUTE

I wrote this a few years ago

to honor all those that serve now

or have served our wonderful country.



Memorial Day is here once more,

We fly the flags above our door,

We plant our flowers that mark the grave,

Of every soldier that was so brave,



They fought for freedom for everyone,

Many lives snuffed out by a sniper's gun.

We proudly march in our little bands,

As daybreak filters across our lands,



But I wonder if we can truly see,

What cost it was to make us free.



Confederate soldiers fought the Yanks,

Some brothers fought brothers in those ranks,

To free the downtrodden that were lost,

To free all men at any cost.



My father was a medic in World War One,

A war not talked about by anyone,

Some men lost limbs and some were gassed,

Some picked up by comrades, 

others  bypassed.



World War II! How tragic indeed,

People standing by watching others bleed.

Souls thrown to the winds with no remorse,

Foreign government standing on their 

own course.



Vietnam was not a war they said,

Then how come so many soldiers ended up 

dead?

No heroes welcome for them in sight,

They slunk home in the dead of night.



Should I go on-with Korea & Desert Storm?

Iran? Afghanistan? Are you getting warm?

Do you feel the pain you see in their face?

Does it make you squirm in your warm, safe 

place?



I've just one more thing I'd like to say,

It's about celebrating Memorial Day,

Look around and everything you see,

Was paid out in blood so that we are free.

Put your hand on your heart,

For the blue, white and red,

Raise your eyes to the flag,

Say a prayer for the dead.


Because of a soldier I can have my say,

So ~God Bless you this Memorial Day~


A special thank you to my nephew, Scott-who 

passed away last month 

due to war related injuries,

my father-a medic in WWI,  

my Uncle Samuel,a  Korean War vet,

my foster brother,Gene-

active duty during the Vietnam War,

my old schoolmate, Tom Babcock and

a friend I met blogging, Kurt Keys

and all the wonderful  people I work with

when I volunteer at the VA-

particularly 2 I volunteer with

on my shift- Rick & Dave!


And To All Our Soldiers-
your photo name

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

Susie Swanson said...

Oh My, what a beautiful tribute. God bless each one and bless you too my sweet friend for this awesome post. I'm so sorry about your nephew and I thank him and each one of them . We owe them a debt that can never be repaid. happy Memorial Day to you!!

Sandi said...

Too many wars.

God bless your brave soldiers you mentioned here, Diana. Your nephew, father, uncle, brother, and friends. God bless our military and their families.

Wild Oak Designs said...

You are so talented to write such a poem
take care
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful words.
Blessings to all.

All the best Jan

Chatty Crone said...

That was a beautiful poem you wrote. I am so glad I like in the USA! I appreciate all those who have served our country. sandie

Kim said...

Thank you, Diana, for the reminder. It took a lot of suffering for us to receive the gift of freedom. May all who died for our country peacefully rest eternally. May God give extra grace to our soldiers, both alive and dead.

Vee said...

Beautiful tribute...whatever we have in this country 🇺🇸, we owe to God and our wonderful veterans.

Ann said...

Beautifully said. Happy Memorial Day

Jan said...

A beautiful tribute. Thank you for posting this!

Terri D said...

Ditto my comment on your real estate post. Wow!

Tom said...

...simply put, wars don't solve problems!

Adam said...

Remember the fallen, especially the fallen to wrong wars/conflicts. It angers me that politicians want to poke countries with a stick so they have a chance to invade, mainly so private companies who make weapons can profit while the government digs itself deeper in debt. It's not good use for the lives of innocent men and women.

cloches and lavender said...

My husband and I always say we don't begrudge everyone enjoying the three day weekend. Hid dad caught in WWII and Korean wars.

We always think of the fallen heroes. The men and women who sacrificed to give us our freedom. We always think of their loved ones left behind too. I can't imagine being the parent or spouse getting told your loved one lost their life.

I'm so sorry about your nephew.

Cindy

Jettie said...

Very heartfelt, my ancestors have fought in every war since the revolutionary war in America.

Junkchiccottage said...

Beautiful sweet friend. Happy Memorial Day.
Hugs,
Kris

jack69 said...

Wow! Just Wow. You said that so well. YOu covered the subject. Thanks for the tribute They deserve it and much more for all of us. I remembered today those who fell yesterday and grieve for those in harm's way who know..... who KNOW and still march to orders because they agreed to uphold their promise to give their life for their country if need be. God bless them all, and I think he will....

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Beautiful tribute Di. Thank you for sharing.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Such a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing. Happy Memorial Day!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You are amazing - and this is perfectly written to honor our glorious selfless fallen heroes - men, women and beast.

ps - posted updated pics of grand in pink. Yes, I know - I posted something! Rather shocking, isn't it? ♥♥♥ Big hugs.


CHERI said...

Such a wonderful tribute. It has made me so sad that there are those who dishonor our flag and the service men and women who have fought and even died for our freedoms. I know these people have the "freedom" to believe what they want but I don't believe they should be so disrespectful and desecrate the symbols that so many of us love. God bless America!

Carla from The River said...

Thank you my friend.
God Bless them all.
Rest in Peace our dear ones.
xx oo
Carla

Rain said...

That's a great post Diana! So many people are oblivious to what gave them their freedom! :) xx

This N That said...

Beautifully said as always...I hope you and your family are having a wonderful holiday weekend..Hugs

Kay G. said...

I hope you post this every year, my friend, to honor those who died for this country.

Jeanie said...

It's lovely. I'm glad you shared it again and hope you had a wonderful weekend.

Donna said...

Absolutely spot on! Love it...
SO sorry about your nephew, Scott...((HUG))

Busy Bee Suz said...

Beautifully written about such tragic loss. I can't even imagine what all those soldiers went through for us. God bless all your family members.
XOXO

Benita said...

So beautiful and very well put! I hope you had a relaxing day yesterday! Love and hugs!

Creations By Cindy said...

Great poem sweet lady. Hope that you had a great day on Memorial day. We sure did. Peaceful and quiet. Hugs and blessings, Cindy