Friday, February 9, 2024

A VALENTINE'S DAY TUTORIAL--NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

 I LOVE READING THROUGH

my memories on the blog.

This is one of my favorites.

Those of you that have followed me since the

early days of blogging,

will remember all these little girls...

now pretty well grown up!

So- I dug another post out of the archives
to share with you.
Grab something with caffeine because
you will be tired when you are done reading this.

Step One:
First you must hang a banner inside 
so the grandkids
will know which holiday they 
are celebrating.

Just a word of caution..
If you hang one
that looks like
the one below..
SOMEONE
(who shall remain nameless)
will be sure to ask..
IS HIMS NAKED?

Your reply should be
Absolutely..
That is why he is
carrying an envelope.
This is sure to produce
a giggle from at
least 2 or the 3 grandkids.
The third one doesn't giggle.

She doesn't giggle 
because she doesn't
"get it".  
She is trying to figure out 
where HIMS got that big of an envelope.


Step Two:
You must lay out supplies.
These will cost somewhere
in the neighborhood
of $459.00...and....
after you buy
ALL THAT STUFF,
you will realize that you have
forgotten at least one or
two crucial supplies..
Like...
Elmer's WASHABLE glue. 
Lord help you if you buy the 
regular Elmer's glue
because it will NOT be pretty!


Now that you have
your supplies home
and have signed the bank loan
to cover the expense..
you must lay out the goodies...
Lay them out nice and neatly..
Sigh over the paper-Oh So Sweet

Step Three:
HANG A FLAG OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR.

A cute little cherub flag
to greet them with a smile.
Isn't it perfect?
Love Mary Englebriet's flags.
Then they arrive bringing presents.
Bringing PRESENTS?
PRESENTS FOR ME?
Yep-these are for Nana..
and they made them all by themselves.

Inside are beautiful little
hearts made with love..
One from Ria.
Two from Lulu...
and one from SweetCheeks.
Of course I must put them all on..
I pick up SweetCheeks...
What does this say, SweetCheeks?
That's jus' sumbuddy ehlse's name
on there...Doan't pay eny
attenshun to the name...
just putt it on..
Whereupon I am informed
by Lulu that
"I told SweetCheeks
NOT to give you that one".
Whereupon SweetCheeks says
NOAH.YOHU.DIDN'T.LULU
an' I dohn't care cuz I am ghiving
it to her enyways! PFFFFFT!
I start the legal paperwork
to change my name to Allison.
Great.. We are off
to a nice, calm start...

Now where were we?
Okay..girls..
Let's get started...
WHO WANTS TO MAKE A VALENTINE?

Everyone's hand shoots into the air.

In short order everything
 looks like this.....
All three girls are
Busy-Busy-Busy
Lulu made this-
 Ria loved the self-stick hearts...

SweetCheeks has changed into 
her 3rd Princess outfit and has busied herself
making th...........
Oh, Dear Lord In Heaven...
While I was refilling my coffee cup,
pray tell WHO handed HER 
the glitter?

There is glitter glitter everywhere..
On the floor and on the chair..
In her mouth and on her hair....
I could go on and on with the
rhyming thingy but I'm afraid
the Dr. Suess police will get me.


An especially nice touch? 


The globs of
glue that dropped here and there
and shine brightly up
from the chair...and the table...
and the floor...and the countertop...
Did I say floor? Ah..yes...
and back to the glitter...
Nothing like glitter on the floor
that can be tracked from
room to room..
Leave NO ROOM untouched
seems to have been the motto
of the day.
I decide I need a bathroom break
to dispose of the 3 gallons of coffee
that I have downed in an effort
to keep up with this
CRAFT DAY WITH THE KIDS.
Lo and behold,
in the small reading nook
(where the old steps used to be)
I SEE THIS!!!
How did all these books get off
the shelf and on the floor?
I ask ever-so-sweetly-
between slightly gritted teeth.
Uh-oh---Here it comes...

Welllll...says SweetCheeks..
Ria toohk a few books off
the shellf and then I helped her
and taked the rest offf..and
we jus' put 'em there for now.

Yeah? Where do you think
you're gonna put them later?

Wellll...It was Ria's idea.
I dunno how they gonna
get bahck on the shelfs.

Hmmmm...I dunno where YOU'RE
gonna go either if you guys don't put
these books back.
All too soon-
hahahahahahahaha
the day ends and we clean up the
mess, they put on their matching
dresses that Nana bought them
 and they get ready to go home.
As you can plainly see 
SOMEONE has been so overworked
she has collapsed in a heap
using her sisters as pillows.
These little girls are big girls now...
but I love them as much as I did 
when they were little like this...
even more...

Kind of bittersweet to look back on 
these special times.

I may invite them over to
do this again this weekend. 

If you don't see me by Monday
I will be glued to a seat somewhere
in the house.
I hope it is in a chair in front of
the computer.

Edited to add:
MyHero reads my blog and says:
 You SPENT $459 ON THIS STUFF?
(Sheeez...don't ya know a joke when you read one?;>)
your photo name

37 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Ha Ha I Love This So Much! Happy Valentine's Day Diana and Family! xoxo Dolly

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Precious memories! Have a happy Valentines Day next week!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

SO sweet! Those memories do prick the heart don't they? Have a sweet Valentine's Day with your sweet girls.

Anonymous said...

You brighten every heart with every write ... have an awesome weekend

Cecilia said...

Bwahahahaha. So cute. I remember this one and enjoyed walking down memory lane with you. Still makes me laugh. Hope all is well. I am sitting out on my back porch this morning with my coffee enjoying our false Spring. I’d be totally ok if the cold weather doesn’t return!
Hugs, Cecilia

Junkchiccottage said...

Too funny. The girls are all grown up now. How time really does fly. To have those days back. Have a super duper Friday and great weekend. Hugs. Kris

Lynne said...

Oh My . . .
Fun memories!
Glitter everywhere makes me happy to know
it was your house and not mine.
Wonder why GLITTER was ever invented!
Happy Valentines Day Diana!
❤️ Love Love Love ❤️

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved every picture over the years. May God continue blessing you and yours.

Chatty Crone said...

What fond memories. I know you miss those days just like I do! Where did the time go?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Wonderful memories like that should be repeated. I know what you mean when you say they are grown up now. It's amazing how fast time flies. We were just talking about how our family no longer has any little ones in it anymore! I loved the poST and seeing the pictures too! Happy Valentines Day to you!

racheld said...

You sweet thing!! Your Star in Heaven won't just shine---it will glisten and glint and glow and all those happy g words including Grandma. And it won't be just star-colored, either---it will have little glints and glisters of hues known only to kindergarteners or the mad craftsmen who make Mardi Gras floats. You are One of a Kind, and it's lovely to know such a rare creature as you. Isn't it a boon and a blessing to have all the memories stored up for a rainy day? We measure out our Grandma Days, and think back on those precious moments as the Times of our Lives---that close bond held together with Elmer's and glitter and cookie batter hugs.

I'm ganjin, and Proud Of It.

Debby said...

Aww some sweet memories for you. I hope you do invite them over.

Susie said...

Diana , so funny. I can almost guess who sorted books. You know you would pick them all up again to have those 3 little sweethearts back crafting with you. I know I would love to have my Emma back small again. LOL. Blessings to you and your grown up beauties. xoxo, LOve, Susie

MadSnapper said...

the whole thing is too funny and that is exactly what bob would say if he read the post. men! you were the perfect grandma, i am the opposite. not by choice, by dna passed down from daddy who was a MAN.. ha ha

Rita C at Panoply said...

So, so sweet, but doesn't it just make you wanna cry to see them all grown now? 😭
I suppose I'll be known as the glitter Gestapo because I deplore glitter, lol. Sticker I can handle, and I'd be willing to pay $459 for stickers than to have one bottle of glitter and glue. 🤣
Happy Valentine's Day, Diana1

Sofia Castaneda said...

It sounds like you have prepared for St. Valentine's Day very thoroughly and had a superb time with your granddaughters. I am not sure if I have the time or the money to prepare that much, but I will surely do something special for the whole family. Enjoy the celebration!

This N That said...

You sure make up for having been among the missing. Great post!
Yes, I remember the girls when they were little. Seems like so long ago. Sweet cheeks was almost a daily subject of your blog. I'm sure I watched her grow up. The others as well.
It was fun walking down memory lane with you. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and a happy weekend. Big hugs

Katie Isabella said...

I loved each and every word and picture! I loved it. Moare! (as Katie would meow). I am having my DIL come and read this too when she can. She will love it.

Latane Barton said...

That post was so adorable, I just loved it. Have a great weekend, Diana.

Terri D said...

Adorable and a priceless memory, for sure. Loved this, Diana!! xo

Anonymous said...

I remember this post from years back! How those little girls had you going! Debbie W

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Aw! Such sweet and funny memories of that special time when they were so young and innocent. They are lucky girls to have such a fun and loving Nana. I can remember those little ones - I had just started blogging and you were one of my first blogger friends. Sending hugs and Happy Valentine's Day to you and all the girls. xo K

Linda said...

Very funny! Excellent writing.
Practical Parsimony

Ann said...

Love this. Too adorable. I could read sweet cheeks talk all day long, it's just so cute. Typical man to only pick up on the $459....lol

Polly said...

ha, ha, I love this, you write so well. Adorable memories. Have a happy weekend Diana x

Donna said...

Aww, the grans are adorable! And the books...Lolol I know that feeling!
Love the memory...and yes...it feels like $459, doesn't it?!!
hugs
Donna

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I remember this post and all the creativity that you and the kids did together. I bet you sure miss those little ones, but they turned out to be beautiful young ladies. I was actually going to show Mia's latest craft project on my next post. I think it keeps them busy, and they learn to sew and glue and glitter and be creative! Love those heart doilies, and these will definitely be keepsakes for you forever, Diana. That Mary Engelbreit flag is delightful, love that!

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

ps.....Happy Valentine's Day to you, dear Diana.

Lynn @thevintagenest said...

miss the old blogging days.....sweet post Diana

Lorrie said...

Such a funny and oh, so sweet post, Diana. The years go by so quickly, don't they?

Carla from The River said...

Oh I do love going down memory lane with you, they did and do grow up so fast!!
Happy Valentine's Day my dear friend.
Carla

Bless said...

Love this! Now, if only I had a grandchild...oh the fun I could have! :D

R's Rue said...

Sending all the love.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Billie Jo said...

What a beautiful collection of memories! Where does the time go? I am so very glad we have this place with all these memories stored neatly. Happy Valentine's Day, my friend!

Karen M said...

Those are the very best kind of Valentines! Have a wonderful day full of Love, Diana -

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful memories.
Happy Valentines Day tomorrow.

All the best Jan

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I remember this post from years ago, and it is every bit as funny now, or more so, than it was the first time! Diana I just love your humor, and storytelling - precious grandkids, its hard to believe they have grown up - have I been blogging that long? Blessings to you dear friend!