Friday, October 2, 2026

FRIDAY THIS AND THAT-BITTERSWEET IN SO MANY WAYS~

 I LOVE BITTERSWEET!


For my 50th birthday
(don't ask when THAT was
it was a LONG time ago)
my family and friends
threw a huge bash.
My brother, Charlie, came from
out East, friends from Florida,
and from around the area showed up
to surprise me.

One of the things that
surprised me most was
this watercolor that
my friend, Carol Ball, asked
an artist friend of ours
to paint.

When Carol said she wanted
a painting of Bittersweet,
Lois Christensen, the artist,
about fell over her easel laughing.
WHO would want a picture of
BITTERSWEET? Lois asked.
When Carol said it was for me..
she "got it".
Hmmm...guess SHE knew I
am a tad "off-kilter", too!


Here it is! It hangs in my
foyer/hallway.
Sorry for the poor photo..sigh...

I see it several times a day
and always smile to myself.

A close up

So, when I dug out an old
magazine for October
I was tickled to see an
article called
Bittersweet Romance.

I think every Fall decorating
should have a bit of
BITTERSWEET in it,
don't you?

I love this table with a
bit of bittersweet color on it.
And look at these pumpkins,
wrapped with bittersweet.
How cute are these for
place markers?
Aren't these votives sweet?
I also found a bit of
BITTERSWEET
color in the shot of this room.
Maybe just a tad
TOO MUCH
of saturated color for me!

And, where is the
BITTERSWEET here,
you ask~
Well~ It is
BITTERSWEET
that my own backyard
looks
NOTHING like that!

It is also BITTERSWEET 
that so many things have changed
over the years.
My dear brother is gone-
never to experience another
Earthly fall.
Lois Christenson is gone and has
 her easel set up somewhere
beyond this realm.
My friend, Carol, has moved away
and I miss her.
My friends, Stan & Mary, that flew in from FL
have passed over.

Life is surely
BITTERSWEET, isn't it?
And, yet, we solider on, don't we?
In a perfect world,
all the people we love would stay
safe and sound and forever young.
In this world,
we accept the reality of life and
move forward as best we can.

Just so you know that I don't mean
to make this post a downer 
(because I don't feel "down")
I will leave you with this.

Unfortunately,
I DID NOT have the
WINNING LOTTERY TICKET
in the last drawing-
so, to all those I promised to
"share the wealth with" if I won,
I apologize.

Hmmm...maybe this IS a 
BITTERSWEET DOWNER POST
after all.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!
your photo name

17 comments:

  1. IT is a very "bittersweet" post for sure...I love it, however! We don't have "bittersweet" growing here in Florida, and I am a bit bittersweet about that! I love it and would love to have some to decorate with in the autumn months. I'd have to buy some fake bittersweet at some place that sells fake flowers and such, and I'm not a fan of fake stuff, but it does last longer than the real stuff. Yes, I understand about friends and loved ones who are no longer with us for our special days and events. That is truly bittersweet. I feel it a lot in these fall/winter months, when we have birthdays and holidays, and the old family members and friends can no longer pop in and surprise us, or bring their favorite dish to our feast. Yes, the older we get, the more friends/family we have in heaven than we have here on earth. I guess that's why it's good to know that this world is not our final home. "We are just a passing through...our treasures are laid up somewhere above the blue..." But meanwhile, we treasure the ones we have here still, and enjoy the new ones growing up to take their place, but we have those precious memories of days gone by that will remain a bit bittersweet in our hearts. Loved this post. Not a downer at all. Just reflective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we get older, many things have a bittersweet edge. A good antidote is WHIMSY! Thanks for your comment on my post today and yes, I know you do whimsy VERY WELL! The magical spark is strong in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each day that you wakeup, you have won the lottery! 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ~ life can be very bittersweet, but consider the alternative!! Much love ~
    bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to take the bitter with the sweet. That is what makes life worthwhile. I love the bittersweet picture and all the decorations with it. Happy Fall to you! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Losing loved ones is certainly bitter sweet, but if they are followers of Jesus Christ we know that they are in a better place. A place without pain and without sorrow and a place we long to be one day where we will see them again.
    We need to use each day of life that we have to spread love to those that are around us and to enjoy this beautiful world. This time of year is amazingly beautiful, all the rich colors and the new crispness in the air. God bless and enjoy, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bittersweet is so pretty and I haven't thought of it in years. It doesn't grow here in Florida. As for life being bittersweet... yes, it sure can be, but I prefer to emphasize the sweet part of it. God is still good. Cheers, my friend, and I love that painting!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen bittersweet but if I did I wouldn't have known it. :) No lottery winner here either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Beautiful painting too. I know you enjoy seeing it! Great post, as always, sweet, beautiful friend! xoxo Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  10. The painting is pretty. Hopefully less of the bitter and more of the sweet. :) My husbands sister won the NY lottery back about 35 years ago.($4,000,000). No, she didn't share it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to buy a "scratch ticket"
    a month when I was young---never won! I got the message pretty soon that there was more losing than winning
    Your post is very "fall-y" and pretty! Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to buy a "scratch ticket"
    a month when I was young---never won! I got the message pretty soon that there was more losing than winning
    Your post is very "fall-y" and pretty! Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's natural to be reflective or even melancholy from time to time. Your post wasn't a downer. I was not familiar with bittersweet but have just looked it up and had a read. I have only heard of deadly nightshade. Anyway the painting is lovely, as well as being a great memento. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a little bittersweet to reminisce about the past. Sad to think of those who are no longer with us yet joyful to remember the good times we spent with them. That painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, my dear friend. First off, your artwork is beautiful. And I appreciate this post, because it is something I have been thinking about lately. I think about my parents and two of my four sisters who have gone on to Heaven, and how my Mom used to say that one thing she knew about life was that it goes on. It is indeed bittersweet. Lovely post, my dear. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The painting is gorgeous! I had to look up this plant. I found out there is Bittersweet nightshade and Bittersweet Oriental.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~They bless my heart~