getting ready for
Lulu's first communion, (here)
I had some people tell me
that wanted the
"rest of the story"
"rest of the story"
as
Paul Harvey (remember him?) used to say.
So-Lulu's 1st communion
continues- here goes-
We head to church and I am in charge
of SweetCheeks.
We arrive a bit after everyone else.
I am keeping her busy for as long as I can.
Most of the family is up in the
front 3 or 4 rows,
I sidetrack hubby & son & wife
and we sit in the LAST row
with SweetCheeks.
Remember her?
The one that "hates chuch"?
A Catholic church has lots of "rules". Sometimes you stand up,
sometimes you sit down,
sometimes you kneel.
SweetCheeks decided that
no matter WHAT rule was applicable
at any particular time-
she didn't care.
She wanted ME to draw
on the program that we were given.
"Nana, dwraw a cat"-
"Hey-dass a cat?
"Dat dusn't look like a cat to me"...
Scribble...scribble...scribble...
"DAS a cat, Nana".
Ummmhummm...I see that now.
Dwraw sumthin else...
hmmm....how about a dog?
"Das not a dawg" ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
"DAS a dawg".
Oh, yeah...NOW I can see it, plain as day..
Why did I think a dog needed
ears and a nose anyway?
"Whut's dat?" she asks pointing-
"That's your invisible friend, Bob,"
I tell her.
"Pfffft-Das not BOB-
Bob's haair dusn't luuk like dat!
"Nana-yuse crazy" she chortles.
I don't respond but I am thinking-
Hmmmm...
Bob is invisble and
carrying on conversations
with SweetCheeks
and
I am the crazy one?
Uh-oh...now the singing starts.
SweetCheeks lifts her voice in OPRHA
to sing along as if she were part
of the Mitch Miller band.
"I singin OPRHA", she informs me.
"Really? Wow! That sounds good, SweetCheeks!"
Head nods up and down..."I know, Nana".
Soon, the communion part
of the ceremony begins.
SweetCheeks decides
she has to go to the bathroom...
which...by quinkydink,
happens to be just past
the flowing baptismal.
Silence envelopes us as
I hurry her down the aisle.
As we are making our way back to our pew
SweetCheeks spies the baptismal
(which she somehow missed on the way out)
"HEY! Deres watah in dere, Nana!"
(hand reaches out and touches the font of baptismal water & sprays her a bit).
"Now I wet-See? I telled you I hate chuch!"
she says with a malevolent stare
aimed at anyone
that happens to be looking at her.
Lord, love us-
I start praying-
we are going to need divine intercession
to get through the rest of this service...
and God,being God,
provides that little miracle.
Auntie Lynn swoops in and takes SweetCheeks
to some blessedly quiet place for a while.
The ceremony continues and Lulu looks lovely as she is blessed.
When all is said and done I
asked her how it went....
She said, "I liked the wine!"
And, so, finally & at last,
I see my Irish heritage
standing before me young and proud.
"God bless you, Lulu,"
I tell her and give her a kiss on her sweet and innocent face.
"How about some of the special cake your Mom made?"
I am thinking ahead to when SweetCheeks will make her first communion.
Suddenly a song starts plays in my head.
"I Can Only Imagine".
Thanks for staying for Part Two
and reading along.
Next week on to other things!
Bear with me as I navigate life here.
Hubby is not doing well (again)
at this point and so life
changes courses day by day.
Plans fall apart and
I don't have the time
to always do all the things
I want to do.
Have a wonderful weekend and
I will try to get around to visit
some blogs today!
Love all you readers that
have followed me all these years..
and love the newer readers, too.

3 comments:
I always so enjoy reading stories about Sweet Cheeks.
S sorry to hear about your husband. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers
Oh my goodness...what a great story! I loved this, and can so relate having wrestled with three boys in church from the day they were born practically, as a Pastor's Wife and trying to make them behave because EVERYONE is watching us ALL THE TIME! You are a great story teller! But seriously, I am sorry that your dear hubby is not doing well again, and I will definitely be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. May God be with you and give you strength for each new day. (((HUGS)))
Oh how funny. Out of the mouths of babes!!!! Such a cute story.
Hope your husband feels better quickly. Take care.
Post a Comment