Monday, May 29, 2023

MEMORIAL DAY MEMORIES-GOD BLESS OUR SERVICE PEOPLE

 I wrote this for Memorial Day 

several years ago

but I post it here every year.



This means even more to me after I

volunteered at the VA Center here

before Covid hit. 





Memorial Day is here once more,

We fly the flags above our door,

We plant our flowers that mark the grave,

Of every soldier that was so brave,



They fought for freedom for everyone,

Many lives snuffed out by a sniper's gun.

We proudly march in our little bands,

As daybreak filters across our lands,



But I wonder if we can truly see,

What cost it was to make us free.



Confederate soldiers fought the Yanks,

Some brothers fought brothers in those ranks,

To free the downtrodden that were lost,

To free all men at any cost.



My father was a medic in World War One,

A war not talked about by anyone,

Some men lost limbs and some were gassed,

Some picked up by comrades,

 others  bypassed.



World War II! How tragic indeed,

People standing by watching others bleed.

Souls thrown to the winds with no remorse,

Foreign government standing on their 

own course.



Vietnam was not a war they said,

Then why did so many soldiers end up 

dead?

No heroes welcome for them in sight,

They slunk home in the dead of night.



Should I go on-with Korea & Desert Storm?

Iran? Afghanistan? Are you getting warm?

Do you feel the pain you see in their face?

Does it make you squirm in your warm, safe 

place?



I've just one more thing I'd like to say,

It's about celebrating Memorial Day,

Look around and everything you see,

Was paid out in blood so that we are free.


Put your hand on your heart,

For the blue, white and red,

Raise your eyes to the flag,

Say a prayer for the dead.


Because of a soldier I can have my say,

So ~God Bless you this Memorial Day~


A special thank you to my late nephew Scott, 

my father, my Uncle Samuel, 

my foster brother, Eugene,

my old schoolmate, Tom Babcock and

a friend I met blogging, Kurt Keys.


And To All Our Soldiers-

 

your photo name

31 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a beautiful tribute...so powerfully written and spoken. Thank you, Diana. Even with all her warts and blemishes, America is still the best country in the whole world. We are blessed to live her, because of the sacrifices of so many throughout the years. May we never forget.

Junkchiccottage said...

War is one of our human failures in life. Nice tribute to all of those that have given their lives to protect us. This small town we are staying at in Michigan has so many veterans that they are honoring today with a parade and tribute. It is fun to be in a small town like this that the parade and tribute is so important. It is like Mayberry here and everyone is excited for the parade. Terry and I will be honored to see this today.
Have a good day. Big hugs. Kris

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lest We Forget.

Brenda Pruitt said...

How beautifully written. Sums it all all up. I thanked a veteran for his service just a week ago. I'll continue to do so.
Brenda

Red Rose Alley said...

It's nice of you to prepare a poem for all those who died in war and are remembered. I just watched Born on the 4th of July with Tom Cruise. The young men were so young who went over to Vietnam and fought. Like you, I have a few in my family who served in the war, and thank God, they all returned home.

Have a lovely Memorial Day, Diana.

~Sheri

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my! I have the Holy Bumps reading this tribute! Absolutely beautifully said! Happy Memorial Day dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Debby said...

That is a beautiful gut-wrenching poem, Diana. Thank you for dedicating your post today to the Fallen. God bless you - I know it is appreciated.

This N That said...

Can't see this too often..Wonderful tribute !!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my goodness, you are a really talented poet! Hope you are having a good weekend!

Bill said...

A beautiful tribute.

MadSnapper said...

the poem is perfect and is always new again because it speaks the truth. My Dad's two brothers were in WWII and my brother in Vietnam, they all came home, but were not the same ever again

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a loving tribute to all those who fought and died, Diana. Thank you for posting this beautifully written post. God bless America 💙🇺🇸❤️

Kay G. said...

🇺🇸

happyone said...

AMEN - beautifully written and heartfelt!!

Theresa said...

Beautiful 🇺🇸. We should all be so thankful for those who gave it all. Sending HUGS your way.

Terri D said...

Well done! Beautiful and Amen!!

jack69 said...

Beautiful and touching every year. Beautifully written and delivered. We have had some wonderful men and women who died for our right to be free.

Love you lady,
Sherry & jack Proud to be citizens of this great land.

Bless said...

Well said, Diana. My step-dad's father and uncle both served in WWI - two brothers, side by side; one came home and one died. I had uncles who fought in WWII. They fought on the behalf of the British because we were still a colony during WWII.

Ann said...

What a beautiful tribute to those brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrafice.

Ricki Treleaven said...

What a lovely post! It literally brought tears to my eyes. I've been thinking about all the sacrifices many have made, particularly our Gold Star Families. Thanks for posting your poetic tribute, Diana!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Beautifully said and quoted Diana. We should all be grateful for those who gave their lives in in order to keep our freedom. I give thanks and appreciation to all who have served. xoxo

Kim said...

A beautiful tribute and one we should be keeping in mind all year, every year. I know your volunteering was a gift to so many at the VA. xo

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Jo said...

A beautiful tribute.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh this is wonderful friend and I am so glad you once again shared this post. Your words touch my heart and make me stop and pause. War is terrible indeed and takes the very finest of our boys and men. Truly we are free because they were willing to fight the battle for us. God Bless You.

Lowcarb team member said...

A beautiful tribute.
God bless.

All the best Jan

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

A loving tribute to our brave soldiers who gave their all for our freedoms that so many take for granted. God bless them all - we can never repay their sacrifice. x K

Sherri said...

That was a beautiful tribute! I'm dating a man that was a marine and he gets annoyed when people don't understand what Memorial Day is really all about. His father is a retired Marine and he gets mad too. That was the perfect tribute!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love reading this each year. xo Laura

Donna said...

Beautiful words...
I hate war...
hugs
Donna

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Just beautiful, Diana. Sorry to get to this so late. Thank you to all of those who served.