Friday, August 7, 2026

FRIDAY THIS & THAT- SOMEONE IS GETTING MARRIED! A SWEET CHEEKS TAKE ON CHURCH CEREMONIES

 I wrote this down a long time ago and want to post it here for the kids to read "someday".This is a long read from the time SweetCheeks was little and Lulu was about to make her first communion. It would take 2 hours to read the whole thing so I will keep it as short as I can here.  

This is the soon-to-be-bride, Lulu (our Alana Lauren)


Ready? Here we go-the story as I wrote it way back then (2010)

The first mistake of the day was getting SweetCheeks (Age 3) dressed early.

As soon as her dress was on she ran outside. 


Me: Where are you going? 

SC: I gonna descerate the fwront porch-dat's where! 

Me: Hmmm.. What?

SC: I gonna put sum plantds in da pots das out heah. 

Ummm...

Me: Maybe you shouldn't do that with your good church dress on.

SC: Noooo-dat's OK, Nanee, Mama dusn't care if I dooed it. I just gonna put dese here!

As she says this she is waving sticks and then shoving them down into the winter dirt pots on the front porch. Oh- and because she doesn't want to get into too much trouble she is recruiting Ria to do the actual "planting" (also in a matching church dress)


I finally coaxed the girls inside to watch Lulu get ready for her first communion.She had a beautiful simple white dress on and her veil. (Lord forgive me for the curse words as I sewed the lace on the veil for the THIRD time so it would lay right). 

Today it hangs nicely.

SC: Arhe you gettin murried today, Lulu?

Luly: NO! (All embarrassed because at this age liking boys is akin to saying you have cooties) 

Lulu: I'm making my first communion.

SC: Wahl- I haffing MY furst communion, too!

Lulu: NO! You are not! You aren't old enough and you don't even know what it's about.

SC: YESSS I do!!Iss putting a dwress on and going to church and then eating sumthin'. See! I telled you I knowed whut isss wus!

Lulu: (eyes rolling & starts giggling) 

SC: ISSS NOT funny eifther, Lulu, and I not goin now cuz I hates Church!

Mama: Admonishes Sweet Cheeks in 'that' tone.

SC: Pfffftttt (her favorite noise to show her disdain)  I ridin to church wiff you, Naneee, and we can gets a steamah or sumthin at Starbucks beforah we goes to church!

That sounds good to me I say under my breath.

As I am buckling her into her car seat she looks at me and very sweetly says in her nicest voice-

Naneee- I really do hates church!

I start praying not to commit Holy Murder 

before we get to church.

It was all good once we got there..but notice the expression on SC's face.



Those were certainly the days of laughter and tears and 

I treasured every moment with those girls.

Now they are grown and working and/or in college.

Lulu will soon be dressed in white once again and I can't wait to see that and hear

Sweet Cheeks opinion about that ceremony.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Love you guys and so many of you have followed along since SC was a little girl. 

I may have to follow up with the actual church experience. It is giggle worthy.

Thanks for riding along down 

Memory Lane~

your photo name

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Testing

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully they do change as they grow up. I'm thinking it will be a great day in church. Congrats to the happy newlyweds!

Cheryl Kimbley said...

What a sweet story. Kids - they say the darndest things. Me thinks, that should be shared at her wedding!!!!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And I hope you'll tell us about Lulu's wedding when it happens too!

bobbie said...

Adorable story!! I can't wait to hear about the wedding!
bobbie

Pam said...

Oh my, I have found as I age with each passing yr., I tend to do more and more moments that the memories invade my thoughts. I think its a sort of thing where we, without a given thought, try to grab and hang onto the old times.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a sweet story. It seems like those kiddos grew up so darn fast. I want to hear more about the wedding. Xoxo

Terri D said...

So fun and such sweet photos!! Precious memories, indeed! xo

nonie everythingsewing said...

I loved that story, what a special memory, with great thigs still to come.