Friday, July 31, 2026

FRIDAY THIS AND THAT- FOOD FROM THE 60s and 70s



I thought it might be fun to 
visit the 
FOODS SOME OF US  MIGHT REMEMBER.

Let's start with breakfast.
Any of you ever eat these?
OR
Notice how they proudly displayed the word
SUGAR?
LOL-That's a definite NO NO in today's cereal aisle.

After a nice bowl of cereal swimming in
WHOLE MILK
did you wash it down with
OR 
one of these?
Maybe mom was downing a quick cup of this-

You went off to school and came home.
Did you have this for an after school snack?
Or maybe this?
CHUCKLES!!!!
Did your mom make this for dinner?
SPAM THE ALMOST HAM

It might have been served with side of this:
Or maybe you were from a modern family
and ate these?
And what did you have for dessert?

After a nice dinner did you sit around and watch
Did you snack on these while watching 
the old black and white TV shows?
Or maybe you had a box of 
CRACKER JACK
back when they had 
REAL PRIZES!
Maybe you washed those down with this...
While mom, being ever weight conscious,
poured this over a glass of ice...
And..sometimes a little milk got heated up
and you drank a cup of this before
going off to bed in a sugar coma.
Feel free to share your own wonderful
food memories!

I will tell you one little 'story'
that I am NOT proud of----
When MAGIC CHARMS came out 
I WAS CHARMED!

I ate so many of them at one sitting
that I was sick for 2 days...
yes-indeedy---
To this day I cannot even think about
eating them
without feeling slightly nauseous.
I now call them 
YUCKY CHARMS!
So, if that is on your morning breakfast menu,
please take me off the guest list.
Because 
TRUST ME-
It will not be pretty if I show up!

Have a great day-
fill it with 
GOOD MEMORIES
not like the one I have of 
LUCKY CHARMS!

Leave your own memories 
in a comment and tell me
what I missed!
your photo name

25 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Testing

Cheryl Kimbley said...

Lots of good memories. I loved Tang, but mom rarely bought it. I still buy Spam now and then - I really do like it.
Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, jello salads were such a staple in the 70s! And oh dear, your Lucky Charms incident, poor you!

Tom said...

...Diana, thanks for this walk down memory lane, You are a Charmer!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I still get those Lucky Charms for the grandchildren, It's a must when catching Leprekans on St. Paddy's Day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We stirred Nestles quick chocolate into our milk and at Hostess cup cakes or pink snowballs with our lunch. Twinkies too. Didn't you love the candy at the movie theatre! Love this post! Love you!

bobbie said...

I remember Tang, Sanka, Jello salad {Mom made hers w/ shredded carrots & celery}, Swanson's TV dinners, and ah! Spam { the state food of Hawaii!}. I didn't do cold cereals, but pretty much lived on a steady diet of oatmeal, grits and bear paws {very sugary pastries}
Thanks for the great trip down memory lane!!
bobbie

racheld said...

What a flashback of handy stuff to have in the cupboards! We had a popcorn popper, but occasionally we would indulge in watching one of those little pans of Jiffy Pop swelling its little belly on the stove. ONCE and only once, my Mother bought the Swanson Turkey dinner, and both parents got up made tomato sandwiches. I remember Daddy said it was like a plate of baby food, and not much of it.

That delightful jello salad was called Perfection Salad, scourge of every Church Supper and Potluck in the county. That one picture always seems to be a watchful HORTA---a monster from Star-Trek.

I think there's still a dusty old can of QUIK in the cabinet---Chris loved it with a tablespoon scoop of Jif Extra Crunchy in the other hand. Lick the spoon, take a sip. You really know how to push everybody's nostalgia buttons.
Happy weekend and HAPPY AUGUST!!!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said...

Oh, for me, it was cheese wierner wrap that made me sick. It was a little canned biscuit type thing that you wrapped around your hotdog and baked it. I think it came in plain, too. Anyway, one day, I ate cheese wierner wrap hotdogs with Kraft mac and cheese on the side. It was so "cheesy", I got sick and wouldn't eat either for years!
Enjoy your weekend! Laura

Sandi said...

Tang! Didn't astronauts take that to the moon?

Shari Burke said...

An aunt used to buy Tang. i did love Tab when I was a teen. I never heard of the top two cereals--maybe they were regional? Cheese doodles now--I still love those. They're not readily available here. Once I saw a bag of something and thought they were cheese doodles, but when I got closer, I discovered they were chicken flavor! Once in a while we see cheese puffs and get a bag. They don't have the balls in the canister though :-)

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, that was fun, Diana, and I remember most of them! We didn't eat cereal very often, growing up. Toast was less expensive (day-old store) and certainly faster when trying to get out the door to school! Yucky Charms... very funny!! I enjoyed this post!! xo

Kay G. said...

Oh, it is the TANG that I really loved! And as a teenager, I had enough TABS to last me a lifetime. Always wanted to lose weight! My rich friends had TV dinners in their freezer. I was amazed, we had nothing like that at my house.

HappyK said...

Didn't. eat all those foods but I do remember them. :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I remember almost all of these. I remember something about the astronauts drinking Tang. But would you believe I never tried any of them! I DID watch The Beaver though. Plus The Donna Reed Show. Care to vacuum in your pearls and crinolines?

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for sharing your memories.
Spam was very popular in our family! I still see it on supermarket shelves!

Enjoy this last day of July and good wishes for the coming new month of August.
The days fly by!

All the best Jan

Mevely317 said...

What a fun journey down Memory Lane! Oooh ya, I remember trying to enjoy Tab ... convinced it would make me a skinny mini. Ha!
Yep on the Lucky Charms. While in middle school one of my friends and I tried making necklaces out of them. I've no idea what we used for string/cord, but we ate so many our stomachs mutinied. Gag!

Jettie said...

Tang came out when I was a kid, don't think mother ever bought it, but my grandmother either bought it, or it came in her comidities. Dry cereal was usually raisin bran or cheerios, My kids did get some of the presweetened cereals , but they liked Farina or oatmeal and biscuits and gravy or chocolate gravy for breakfast

Kim said...

That's so funny, Diana...so many memories in one post. I remember the strawberry Quik! I loved that...I can actually almost taste it just thinking about it!! I hope you have fun weekend and it's Yucky Charms free!! 😉

jack69 said...

You pretty well covered it, For sure our home hd Tid Bits and that Quick Chocolate for sure. At our house if we had cereal it was Corn Flakes, Sherry's home was Wheaties, the Breakfast of Champions. He dad was into sprots. Always enjoy the read. Love you lady.

Ann said...

I remember so many of these. We didn't have tang at home but it was a special treat when we visited my aunt and we got to make ourselves a glass of that. My grandmother was a diabetic and always had Tab at her house. I tried it once and thought it was disgusting...lol

Theresa said...

So many of these items are in my memories. My Mama loved Tab and I still like Spam:) The sugary cereals are not as popular but I love Frosted Flakes and Sugar snaps! Tang for sure and I have YooHoo in my fridge right now:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Estelle's said...

How fun this was...and yes, I remember all of these...best of days for sure!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post, Diana. No I haven’t had any of those lately. Just a cup of hot Tea in the morning for me. Your long distance friend, Sylvia C.

bobbie said...

Yep, they did!!
bobbie