Nana Diana Takes A Break

Nana Diana Takes A Break

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

MY NEVER FAIL CARAMEL RECIPE-USE TO FILL EMPTY CARD BOXES

I have posted this before
but wanted to repost it again
for those of you that might want to make a
SWEET LITTLE TAKE ALONG
treat for a friend 
(or an enemy--in which case 
add Ex-lax along with the vanilla)

 I have tried probably 10 or 12 different 

caramel recipes

over the years.

Sometimes the caramels turned out

and they set up perfectly.

Often, however, 

they never really hardened properly.


I have made this recipe at least 25 times

 over the years.

It has NEVER FAILED.

It is easy and doesn't require much work.

The secret is your microwave

instead of a saucepan.
The most important thing to remember 

is to use a

 LARGE MICROWAVE SAFE mixing bowl.

I have a Pyrex one with a pouring spout on it.

I use the 2 quart one.

Using anything smaller it might bubble over.

Everything that is measured out

is in 1/2 cup increments.

Melt 1/2 cup butter

in your Pyrex dish..

Remove from microwave.

Add 1/2 cup Karo syrup,

1/2 cup light brown sugar,

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup sweetened CONDENSED MILK

(NOT evaporated milk)

I use EAGLE BRAND because

sometimes the store brands

are a bit "runnier".

Stir until mixed and dissolved.

**Microwave on high 3-1/2 minutes.

**(This is using a 1000 watt microwave--

IF you have a lower wattage microwave

I would suggest adding about 30 seconds

to both timed periods)

Stir down.

**Microwave on high 3-1/2 more minutes.

Remove from the microwave
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I use a full tsp)

Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts-if desired- I don't.

Stir gently until few air bubbles remain.

That's it folks!

Seriously!

Is that the easiest candy recipe

you have ever seen?

Pour into 8x8 buttered dish.

Refrigerate JUST until set

(two or three minutes)

Take out and cut into squares

for wrapping.

I cut long strips and then use

kitchen scissors to cut mine.


OR

You can also use one of those card boxes

that you KNOW you have saved

cuz they were too pretty to toss.

To give as a gift,

this recipe will fill at least 2, maybe 3, boxes.

Here is how I fill those boxes.

(there is a recipe over there for fudge on the 

link-also to fill these boxes)


Or-if it is in the 8x8 pan once it sets up

cut into squares and wrap 

individual squares in waxed paper cut to size.

Kind of like taffy.

That is------

You can wrap these if they last long enough.

Ours never seem to make it to the

wrapped stage!

IMPORTANT---STORE AT ROOM TEMP

(not in the fridge-otherwise they get HARD)
These are some of the tastiest caramels 

I have ever had.

We had a little taste test one year with

three kinds-one purchased,

one made the"old fashioned stove top" way

and my own.

Dan was so smug with his

"old-fashioned ones" 

and KNEW they were going to win.

I was nice about it and very gracious

when I won.

I only called him a LOSER once

to his face.

Guess what?

That makes ME a winner!

Yes.It.Does.

I am

THE CANDY PRINCESS!

Speaking of Princesses---

Yeah-there's a whole story there~

which I may, or may not,

tell you in the future---

but for NOW you can just

LOOK & LAUGH!

Happy Candy Making!

I'll be at the VA this morning

pushing the old boys around....

so don't expect to see my face in your

inbox until this afternoon.
your photo name

42 comments:

  1. I remember when you posted this last year (I think it was last year) and I vowed I would make it, but I never did. Now I'm equally as determined to give it a try. Anything that doesn't involve dripping all over my stove is a winner! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using empty card boxes for the candy. That is a fabulous way to reuse something lovely that is usually a throw-away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love a nice caramel! They have always been one of my favourite candies ever since I was a little girl. Yours look de-LISH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this recipe....and I am about to make some to have when family is here on Christmas Eve.
    dark or light karo..??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a caramel fan, but I know some people who are. This sounds super easy and I am going to make it as soon as I get Karo syrup. We don't keep that in the house. Everything else I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, Nothing nicer than homemade treats for Christmas. I am not a candy maker....only PB fudge. Which I have not made in 20 years. Hero princess is looking good.:):) I have used those boxes for years to package some gifts. LOL. Blessings, hug the boys at work. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Diana...I know that SMELLS good and tastes divine! Nothing better than homemade caramel...yum-O!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU! When you posted this before, I tried the recipe. . . and we loved it! But I LOST my recipe. You must have read my mind--I was so wishing I could make some homemade caramels, but I didn't want to drag out the candy thermometer. Bless you!! (Pinning this time so I won't lose it again!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! Thank you so much for including the recipe. I'm going to try these.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I think I remember this from last year - and I saved the recipe - now ask me if I have made it!! It looks so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your caramels look sooooo yummmmmy.
    Alas, I cannot make that recipe...or any other.
    We do not have a microwave....and I am DEATHly allergic to corn and corn by products....(almost found out the hard way)....
    Those look so very yummy ....please one for me....
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet idea! Thanks for sharing your tips. =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Need to try this one....and for sure they are blood surgar worthy????

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you have a good day! I know you cheer everyone up on the days you are there! What a sweetie you are. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! I LOVE CARAMEL, DON'T GET ME STARTED! This would be a great gift, Diana. It's good to see your husband smiling again. :)

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diana, I love caramels and I've never had luck making them. I must give this a try. Thank you for helping out at the VA. I know you must have given them a lot of laughs. xo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love caramels. I'll have to try this one!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could have sworn I wrote this down the last time, but I guess I didn't. I'm getting out my recipe cards right now and copying it down. I'll call it "Nana Diana's Never Fail Caramels." :) I love caramel and so does the rest of my family. I love the simple measurements and the fact that there's no candy thermometer involved is the icing on the cake. I have a real fear of candy thermometers. I'm serious...some recipes are so specific..."heat to 221 degrees." Really??? Like, 222 will be too hot and it'll ruin it? Ugh. I'm so happy to see this easy one with no thermometer in sight. Thank you, thank you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diana, I love caramel candies and this one sounds simple... I had a recipe that turned out sometimes... it always tasted delicious but often it never firmed up properly. I like that this is made in the microwave.. easy xox ♡

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Diana....I made this another time you posted it, and it barely made it out of the fridge!!! Someone else that lives here found it before I even cut it!!
    I will try again, and hopefully that other person won't find it!!!
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Diana, you are too sweet! x
    Hope you are doing well these days, it sure looks cold where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm! Now just need to find someone to make it for me!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I remember those amazing caramels!! When it comes to caramels I'm a goner.
    I remember you sharing the box idea to and I have saved many more since then. It really is a great way to share the love.

    Christmas Blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Look absolutely yummy! So glad you are gracious when winning! Hope you day is good at the VA. Those fellas need your smiling face. I'm sure the Carmel grands were in snow heaven today. We got about 4 inches and it was a very pretty snow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmmm, I may have to try this recipe. I am a caramel snob and get so disappointed when they don't taste just right! Now I am craving caramels.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mm, you had me at caramel. Definitely going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How did you know caramel anything was my favorite? Well maybe not caramel with Ex-lax, lol! :)
    Well, if you're going to be a Princess, I'd say a Candy Princess is the best kind of Princess!
    Wishing you the happiest rest of your week! Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  28. Let's see...how many days until Christmas? I would have to plan very carefully to make these because I am pretty sure they wouldn't make it to the wrapped stage here either. What's worse is that I am the only one here. I see your darling is serving as blog fodder once again...God bless him! And God bless you for taking care of the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love caramel as much as chocolate. If you say it's easy, I'll give it a whirl. You know I'll have to try out the first batch in secret just to make sure I did it correctly. ;) And then I'll have to hide the second batch from my own princess. LOL
    Have a great day! xoxo, T.

    ReplyDelete
  30. When you said an enemy and ex-lax, I got an idea, an ex and an ex-lax...Yikes!, that was not very nice huh? Anyways the caramel looks delicious and easy! Love that bow, it suits him well :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yummy! Thanks so much for posting again! I need a fresh idea for gifts and using the card boxes is a win-win! John is quite dapper with the Princess bow ~ :)

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am not much of a cook or baker...but candy maker? Hmmm. I could totally be talked into that! ;) Love the card box idea.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Diana..Are those caramels guaranteed not to pull your crowns off?? Thanks for sharing..Like the picture of John...The box idea is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for posting these. My hubby LOVES caramels. It's funny how the microwave does the trick. Very creative using leftover boxes. I never would think of that.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your caramels look delicious. Best of the holidays to you and your family.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well, making a caramel recipe 25 times with no failures is proof enough for me. Not to mention that they look scrumptious and they seem pretty easy to make. Wondering what's up with "Princess" (what in the world is tucked behind his ear?). I do hope you won't keep us in suspense forever, Diana. That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh yummy, I will be bookmarking this. I might sprinkle chunky salt on top as I love that salted caramel thing.

    ReplyDelete

  38. Your post always cheer me up - you are so funny and I love you.
    Thank you so much for the recipe, i am going to try it. So glad that you won the contest with your caramel recipe.

    Have a Very Merry Christmas.

    Lot of love and hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  39. Two brilliant ideas - making it in the microwave - love it!! - and using the card boxes! Wish I had saved some! What a great idea. I might be able to search the drawers and find one or two. That is such a charming presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh those caramels look soo good! I have never tried to make them homemade. Now, I've got to try, especially if you say the recipe is fool-proof! I will take your word for it, love those kinds of recipes! How is your husband doing? He has such a big happy smile on his face, so glad to see that! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Where the heck is your Pin it button???? I really want to save this!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I don't know how I missed this post...well, yes I do...I was a blog slug in December! Anyway, thanks to Lisa at Texas Decor for sharing your recipe for these caramels. I might make them for Valentine's Day or wait till Christmas....that would be after my August Class Reunion. I need to be lithe and thinner for that...HA! HA!

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~They bless my heart~