Nana Diana Takes A Break

Nana Diana Takes A Break

Saturday, March 10, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Is One Week From Today-Chat & Cake Recipe

How did it get to be the
time of year to start
thinking about
St Patrick's Day?

Even all you
NONE IRISH
pretend to be
 Irish  
just for a day.

Well, except for a few of you
English that wouldn't
lower yourself to do so.
And you know who you are,
but being the
loving people we are,
We forgive ya,
and God Bless ya,
all the way to the
Blarney Stone and back.

I grew up in a small
Irish Community in Pennsylvania.
I believed in leprechauns
until I was at least 12...
well...maybe older...
hmm..matter of fact I'm
pretty sure I might
STILL BELIEVE
in them.

So, today I am going to
give you a little recipe.
You have a whole week to
get your butt to the store
for the ingredients so
you can make it for your family.
And your family will lay down
in your path and let you walk on
them after eating this.

Ready?
Now please don't be asking me
where I got this recipe because
the truth is
I don't remember.
So, if anyone has the source for it
I will be glad to give credit.
I THINK it came out of a
Taste of Home magazine but
I'm not betting the new baby on it.
Crème de Mint Cake
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
2 teaspoons mint extract
12 drops green food color
2 jars (16 oz each) hot fudge topping
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped and cut into pieces, if desired
Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
Make cake batter as directed on box, adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mint extract with the water. Reserve 1 cup batter. Stir 3 drops of the green food color into reserved batter; set aside. Pour remaining batter into pan.
Drop green batter by generous tablespoonfuls randomly in 12 to 14 mounds onto batter in pan. Cut through batters with metal spatula or knife in S-shaped curves in one continuous motion. Turn pan one-fourth turn; repeat cutting for swirled design.
Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Carefully spread fudge topping evenly over cake. In medium bowl, stir whipped topping, remaining 1/2 teaspoon mint extract &  remaining 9 drops green food color. Spread whipped topping mixture evenly over fudge. Garnish with candy pieces. Store covered in refrigerator.
Now, I will tell you that being
St. Paddy's Day
and all the calories
 have all been removed
so you can enjoy every bite.
( Removing those calories
is an Irish trick that I promised not to tell)
I'll be serving it to
The Fam here in the Heartland.
Let's hope SweetCheeks doesn't
eat all the Andes Mints beforehand
because if they are gone
YOU KNOW
she'll blame it on
THIS ONE.
Don't forget to set your clock ahead tonight...

Otherwise you will be the only one showing up
at the 9:00 service.
No one will be there.
You will think
The Rapture
happened and you got
Left Behind.
just sayin....
your photo name

33 comments:

  1. You have me in stitches right now and that cake looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be making the whole boiled dinner this week and this will make the perfect dessert to go with it! Although I am not a baker I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who wouldn't want to be Irish, for a piece of that cake..LOL. That and an Irish coffee. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummo! thats a beautiful tribute to the Irish, you always make me smile you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was at junior school I remember telling a girl I was Irish, which was a big fat lie! Or was it? Fast forward almost forty years to me researching my family tree, and I discovered that there are plenty of Irish amongst the branches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That seriously looks delish. I am 50/50..half Irish Half Italian. That explains my upbringing LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny. I have some Irish in me. Going to gone a few days at the end of the week so no baking here. Looks good though and I love mint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have to make this now. It will be perfect after the corned beef and soda bread! Oh... there are definitely leprechauns :) always believe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for taking the calories out..your too kind. I have company on Sunday so if I get my house cleaned..I just might make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum.....that looks so good.
    I tell you, our girls are so alike. They keep everyone in stitches.....ike you do, hah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diana you are too funny!! That cake looks so YUMMY!! I love anything with mint. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh that cake looks awesome!.. I think I'll make it for my birthday.. which is the day after Saint Patty's. I was born just minutes after I could have been a leprechaun. I am proudly a mutt... Irish, german, Italian. Ask me how much I love cornbeef, cabbage, Irish soda bread too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love n'begorra! It is a dreamy delight! Will be giving this a try for sure ... since Irish I am,

    Have a lovely PS weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ~Giveaway ends 3/15~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for making me smile today, well actually it was a belly roll laugh. I wish I liked to cook I would certainly like this I am sure.
    Looks to pretty to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since it's low cal, I must try this cake! Yummy. Maybe a wee bit of Baily's to go with it? ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi girl, I didn't know you were Irish too. I was raised on stories of life for all my grandparents in Ireland, of leprechauns, banshies, plates dancing on the wall from the little people. I'm proud of my heritage-you were lucky to grow up in an Irish community.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I may just add it to our Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner next weekend.
    Have a great day!
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey - send the Leprechauns over here, because if cooking for them or cooking Irish dishes is magically taking out the calories, even my husband is in on that one!

    Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, I have some Irish ancestors! The cake sounds wonderful!
    It will be early to bed tonight. That's the only way we'll be able to wake up on time in the morning. We wish they'd leave the time alone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are SO darn cute!! And I love the cake recipe. I'm not a mint fan but hubs is. It's really pretty, too! Thanks for passing it along and Happy Saturday!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I will try that yummy looking cake recipe.....no calories you say.. That may be a bit of irish blarney

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so funny...but of course, it wouldn't be to those REALLY left behind!
    That cake looks so good...I love mint flavor...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That cake is going on my menu.... my family likes any thing mint and chocolate.
    It's gonna be a hit.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    Yummy yum yum....
    xoso
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am laughing out loud right now! Thank you very much for the reminder to change my clock! Okay, this dessert looks AMAZING... I am so glad the calories are not in it! Definitely making this for my little guys!
    BTW... I tried to comment on the amazing blogs you posted, but somehow wasn't allowed to... LOVE them all, thank you so much for sharing!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Diana, I am taking a little "me" time while the house is quiet. Hubby is laying in bed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your humor. I know I can get a chuckle. I am part Irish, Dutch, and German, How about that mixture. We won't be able to have our usual Irish meal, corn beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots. Of course hot bread right. Your cake looks so yummy. I would love to do it, but would you object if I left off the whip cream. I have a little problem with that. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hugs from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Will the calories be removed for non-Irish people too? This looks sooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I NEVER look at Taste of Home on an empty stomach! LOVE THAT MAGAZINE!!
    Still rolling over your dig at the English...and I'd be heartily offended too...if I wasn't so much more Irish! ;}

    Erin go Bragh!!!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was the only one to show up in times past!!!
    i just sent all my kids a caps text DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
    so hopefully they will not show up an hour late!!
    The cake looks fabulous! and easy enough too. yum.. thanks.
    happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This dessert is perfectly yummy looking. can't wait to try it-thanks so much for sharing! :) chris

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're a trip...and Irish trip! :-)
    Cake looks fabulous. Tell me when it's ready and I'll be right there.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL! This cake looks delicious! And I'm still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for sharing the yummier!


    I am English married to a Dutcmen. What a mix of people. You think.

    So for sure I can be a bit of Irish.
    Anything to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I also am a huge fan of bj's and always tell her I am on my way over so expect me any minute! :)
    I read her blog EARLY in the morning and immediately my day is shot and I am off to a toasted something, ANYTHING!!

    I also just read your comment on Sullivan and Murphy and almost fell off my chair...SHEESH..I thought I was the ONLY one that didn't have a clue about all those place to mess with photo's!
    I did go right over to take a peek, played with it a bit but they sent me home telling me I wasn't bright enough to even follow their simple directions!!
    Sorta dampened my morning... No matter, a huge bagel dripping with butter and sugared coffee will make me feel better AND PROBABLY HELP KILL ME!! :)
    Mona
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  33. This recipe looks delicious and I think I just might try it for St. Paddy's Day, along with the corned beef and cabbage! Our church has always observed Daylight Savings Time after church. We turn our clocks back after service!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~They bless my heart~