Nana Diana Takes A Break

Nana Diana Takes A Break

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Carmelized French Onion Soup-My Own Recipe

As you know if you are
a follower,
we are working on
preparing for our
friend's memorial service
so I am trying to keep things
easy around here.
I have a recipe that is my
easiest ever
"go to" recipe.

There are tons of
recipes out there for
French Onion Soup.
Most of them call for
wine added to the mix
somewhere along the line.
I don't drink because
of a reaction I have to alcohol.
MyHero doesn't drink
either - well, just because
he doesn't.

So...
What to do for good 
FLAVOR?
Well, ma'am, I 
CARAMELIZE 
the onions.

This is the simplest recipe
you will EVER make.
I promise.

Take 3 or 4 
large yellow onions..
Vidalias if you can find them.
Slice into rings about
1/4 inch thick..or thicker...
or thinner...doesn't matter.
Put them in a large, heavy
saucepan placed over
 barely medium heat.
(I use a gas stove so it might
be different with electric)
Throw the onions in there
with about 1/2 cup melted
REAL BUTTER 
Stir onions until they are
coated with butter.
Place a tightly fitted lid on top.
Stir a few times till they are
heated a bit.
Turn the burner down to your
lowest setting.
Walk away.
Come back in a half hour or so
and stir them down.
Check them every ten minutes or so
and when they are 
transparent  let them continue
cooking until they start 
turning a pale golden brown.
Then start stirring them 
more often so 
that they don't burn.
When they are a wonderful
medium golden brown
pour in a large container
of Swanson's Beef Broth.
(32 oz or so)
Add 1 tsp. garlic powder (not salt).
Cover and continue to let heat
for 20 to 30 minutes.
Don't boil it though.

Meanwhile,
Cut bread into a round that will
fit the top of your oven proof bowls.
Ladle soup into the bowl.
Add bread on top.
I usually use Rye bread.
Cover with 1 or 2  round pieces of 
Provolone cheese
sprinkle with a tablespoon
of grated Parmesan.
Preheat broiler.
Place bowl under broiler
for 3 to 4 minutes or until
cheese is bubbly and golden.
WATCH CLOSELY-
It goes from brown to burnt
in a New York minute.
Sprinkle with just a pinch 
of fresh parsley or sweet basil.

DO NOT 
leave it under the broiler  this long.
(5 minutes for my oven).
And here you were thinking 
I was dadgum near perfect, weren't you?
Well, the one above was
MY OWN BOWL,
thank you very much.
I didn't want to waste it
and I didn't want 
MyHero to whine about
burnt cheese....
So...there you have it...
Serve with a 
Caesar's salad and
you have a complete meal.
YUM.

ps...just a warning...
Don't be kissing your cousins
unless they have been eating 
the onion soup, too....
ummm...wait a minute...
you shouldn't be kissing your
cousin at all, should you?
At least Wisconsin says it's 
A No-No.

Here's the condensed recipe..
Get it? Condensed? Soup?...oh never mind..

French Onion Soup
3 or 4 LARGE sweet onions
1/2 cup butter (even if you double this recipe
you don't need more butter)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1-32 oz container Beef Broth.
(you can add an extra small can
to this if you like it "soupier")
Rounds of rye bread
Rounds of Provolone cheese
Parmesan cheese

Melt butter heavy pan with lid
over medium heat.
Add onions and stir to coat with butter.
When heated through, turn temp down to simmer.
Cover and let cook as long as
needed, stirring occasionally,  until
they turn a medium golden brown.
Add beef broth and continue to simmer
to blend flavors.
Ladle into bowls.
Cover with 1 bread round
Cover bread with 2 slices Provolone cheese
Broil under oven broiler 2 o 3 minutes
until bubbly and golden colored.
Sprinkle with a few bits of
parsley or basil.
Serves 3-4

My daughter will double
it for her family.
your photo name

32 comments:

  1. YUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    I think I may just try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love French Onion Soup, so this is one I will try. Great recipe. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is exactly how I make it! Well except i haven't used rye bread, now thats a wonderful addition! YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! My hubby would want the one a little on the dark side. It seems like everything we like is either loaded with onion or garlic...or both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love french onion soup and your looks YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmmmm....
    No kissin' cousins here in Michigan either. ick.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try it...sounds wonderful.
    When I make a cheese sandwich under the broiler, I want my cheese about this color. Just like the taste. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds wonderful I can't wait to try it!!
    Have a great weekend!!!
    Suzann ~xoxo~

    ReplyDelete
  9. French Onion Soup is one of my all time favorites! Your recipe looks delicious and I would love to make some! Especially since rain is expected here...would be just perfect for a cold day!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is a keeper! I can not wait to make this soup. A evening with warm soup and a lap full of knitting sounds just perfect today. As always your dear blog brings a smile to my face and warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love onion soup, Diana.
    Great comfort food.
    I think my hot soup making is over for the season, though. It's going to be 92 degrees today. Unbelievable in March!
    Hang in there, dear girl.
    xxx, T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooh this looks sooooooo yummy. One of my favorite soups....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a French Onion Soup recipe collection. We love it so much! I have never tried rye bread...I'll make your recipe next "Idol" Wednesday.
    Your know that you are in my prayers!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let me know ahead of time the next time you have "slightly browned" cheese, and I will be there in two seconds! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the recipe, and the fact that it doesn't have alochol. We are big fans of the onion in our household. I have a friend that runs a professional kitchen and I order my onions by the 25lb. bag from her. She cann't believe how many onions the two of us go through. I do like to entertain, so a lot of them are cooked in recipes for more than two servings. I'll be trying your soup, it looks so yummy.
    Your new follower, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are sooooo funny, the kissing cousin explanation and all!!

    your soup looks yummy

    yup, mine call for brandy .... but oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just adore French onion soup--I need to try this! Thanks for sharing such a simple recipe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man, Diana, we need to sit down and trade some recipes! I'm going to see if that can be made with some chicken bullion? My Sweetie is allergic to beef. hmmm, this look scrumptious!!

    Off to the kitchen!!

    Take it easy my friend!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS - The 'burnt' one, mmm that one I'd take. mmmmm!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds yummy and easy! I haven't used my broiler in years so I'll have to be careful I don't burn the top. Love your blog. You have a wonderful sense of humor and some good recipes! So sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure you will all make sure he has a sacred beautiful memorial.

    Hugs,

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Di,
    All I can say is Yummmmmm! That looks so good, why can't you live a little closer. lol, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
    XoXo
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visiting with you from LDH's blog. My hubby loves this soup and we don't drink alcohol, either. Thanks so much for this great sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks and sounds delicious!
    My husband would want your bowl of soup as he likes things a little "blackened and crusty" - guess he has adjusted to my cooking through the years!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there!!!
    I love French Onion soup but have never made it, I think this shall be one of my 1st recipes when my stinking kitchen is done...whenever that is!

    I like wine but I like it in a glass so this is a "must try" for sure!!
    Thanks for coming by!
    ~Terry

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks good, but I'm not a soup fan. And Grandpa doesn't eat much bread, so I'll have to skip this one. But, since my "must make" file is really getting full, that's okay.
    But - the bread and cheese in this might make soup likeable?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks sooooo- yummy! My hubby loves this! I've got to give it a try! He will be so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you! My one sons favorite soup. $5 a cup in a resturant!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. With winter coming on I am enjoying reading everyone's recipes, especially for soup. There's nothing like a good bowl of hot soup, especially at the weekend after watching the grands play their outdoor sports.
    Blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dearest diana, my eyes are full, I am so sad for your friend keys losing his dear life. I am thinking of you and will say a prayer for his poor mother. I have no doubt that losing a son who is much older would be any less painful than losing a little son. Hugs and love coming your way - i am sure keys would really appreciate everything you and your family are doing right now...
    lots of love, laura xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! I never knew it was so easy! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've always carmelized the onions for my French onion soup- that is definitely what gives it flavor. We haven't had this for years, but oh how absolutely good it sounds! And the more cheese the better, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~They bless my heart~