Nana Diana Takes A Break

Nana Diana Takes A Break

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Nuts? Absolutely, Utterly, Deadly Nuts!

Do you know that hardly
ANYONE
in my family
likes nuts?

Can you IMAGINE that?
I can't!
I have always loved nuts!

Peanuts,
Almonds,
Walnuts,
Cashews,
Brazil Nuts,
Pistachios,
You name it- I love it.

But my FAVORITE of all time
is probably
PECANS!

Gotta love those pecans!
At Thanksgiving I always
make at least one
PECAN PIE.

Now I have always used a
traditional recipe for
Pecan Pie
but when I spotted this recipe
I thought it would be fun
to try it for
Thanksgiving this year.

This came from
If you can't read it I have typed it out here for you.

Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie

1- 10" pie crust (I use Pillsbury Dairy Case)
1 TBS powdered sugar
4 large eggs
1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter @ room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 TBS all purpose flour
2 TBS milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla (I use a bit more)
1-1/2 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 325º
Fit pie crust into 10" cast iron skillet
Sprinkle pie crust with powdered sugar

Whisk eggs in large bowl until foamy
Whisk in brown sugar and next 6 ingredients
Pour mixture into pie crust and top with
1-1/2 cups pecan halves

Bake at 325º for 30 minutes
Reduce oven temp to 300º
Bake 30 more minutes
Turn oven off and let pie stand
in oven with door closed
for three (3) hours.

Serve with dollop of whipped cream

Now..you know what ELSE is nuts?
I don't eat sugar or flour..
but I make it for those I love.
So, you see,
I AM NUTS
(just not certifiable at present time)
your photo name

21 comments:

  1. Oh that looks delish. I am a big NUT fan too Diana...my fav are almonds. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are mean Diana!!!!!!! YOU KNOW I AM POWERLESS OVER ANYTHING WITH NUTS, CHOCOLATE OR SUGAR!!!!

    NOW I HAVE to make this, yep my printer is already warming up to make this ridiculsouly decadent dessert, oh but it is the dietetic version, right? LOL.....WOW, this is one for the record books I can tell already:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever met a nut I didn't like ;).
    That sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like nuts, but just in things. Can't eat them in pie, ice cream or even in cereal. Something about the sliminess of them kills me. Call me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I am a tad squirrel-like myself, I love all kinds of nuts!

    You don't eat sugar or flour? I am so jealous of you, I bow down to you. I try to do this all the time, it just never sticks, it's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing, the fact your family are not nut lovers leaves more for you!! Not eating sugar or flour must be the best way you keep slim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Diana, Sometimes we feel like a nut and sometimes we don't.:):) Thank God I come from a long line of nuts. How do you not eat sugar or flour...do you only eat whole foods? I would love a slice er a bite of that pie :)Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good Diana! My hubs would eat that all in one day if I made it! Love nuts too btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too funny! This looks so good and good for you for not eating flour and sugar, I eat way too much!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can you not eat flour? It is in like everything!!!
    Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing!!
    And, right after I read your comment, my computer did what you said it would! I was typing and all of a sudden, half of the sentence was gone!!!!
    If you figure that out, let me know!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom LOVES pecan pie! I'm going to have to make this for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pecan pie and make my Grandma's recipe. Your recipe looks very similar to hers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diana, thanks for posting on my blog today!! I love that you are called Nana Diana because I am Nana Sherri!! I'm glad you saw what I posted on Debbie's blog, I meant every word of it. She is such a sweet person and I hope she doesn't give up blogging!! Talk to you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana,
    I am a nut lover as well. Have you tried those serving size packaged nuts at the grocery that are marked Heart Healthy? Talk about good! But alas, my dear daughter had a terrible reaction after eating some mixed nuts at a party. We had her allergy tested and walnut was the offender but since different type of nuts are processed through the same equipment at packing plants, we cannot take a chance with any sort of nut. It has really changed my baking, especially at holiday time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diana, This is my husbands favorite pie! I always make this recipe at Thanksgiving and I think he would be happy to eat this and nothing else. I like all nuts except raw peanuts..love them boiled.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. This brings back memories of my mom's Thanksgiving table - she always made a pecan pie. My favorite was mincemeat - which nobody likes but me :) I can't live without nuts, sugar or flour...but sure wish I could do without sugar or flour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am nutty too..and this is my very favorite kind of pie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi Diana~
    Pecan pie is my husbands favorite and he is from the south! In fact, he said that growing up they had pecan trees in the backyard - wouldn't that be awesome?! I will be utilizing this yummy recipe!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would much rather have a pecan pie than a birthday cake, let me tell you!!! And since no one else in this family likes it, I get it all to myself. LOL I think I better start putting out the hint to the husband- he tends to forget b-days, anniversaries, etc. Or maybe I should just make this recipe for myself. How did I miss this in SL?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a freak for pie and a freak for nuts, especially pecans...need I say more? Thankfully, Thanksgiving is the only time I crave pecan pie - I can eat a whole pie in 2-3 sittings. I'm not sure if I should thank you for sharing this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, fess up! HOW do you NOT eat flour & sugar? I love nuts too since I am a little nutty. :-)
    Pecans and almonds are my favorite. I'll be sure to try this pie ~ have 3 Pecan Pie lovers in my family.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~They bless my heart~