Friday, August 5, 2011

A Landscaping Solution

Those that follow my blog
know that I live on the
Bay of Green Bay..
-where the
Fox River feeds into
Lake Michigan.
We live right where the words
Green Bay are printed on the map.
When I talk about driving
across the Peninsula
I am talking about driving to Algoma.
Anyway-that is where we live
and rehabbed this house.
We have a big lot,
and have been slowly
landscaping it.
The first thing we did was
build a berm to give our
back yard some privacy..
and we put up fencing.

Please ignore the weeds..
It has been a hot, busy summer..
and child labor laws
prevent me from making the
grandkids pull weeds.
(I checked)
One side has huge old
pine trees that I love...

and we have three
trees stationed like soldiers
along the waterfront.

But it needs
SOMETHING...
and I've been pouring over
books and magazines since
we moved in.

Would you believe there is
not much out there on landscaping
a waterfront property?
One of the
"problems"
(if living on the waterfront
can really BE a problem)
is that when you
landscape you want
it to be beautiful to look at
but it has to be low
enough so that it doesn't
interfere with the view from
the house and upper yard.
No easy feat!

Just when I was ready to
give up-I found it!
Something that is do-able
and won't cost a fortune.
Ready?
Look at this beauty..

Now I will say that our house
looks NOTHING like this one.
Ours is much more
Midwestern looking-
a tad more traditional..
but this landscape..
Oh My!

Wait- what is that noise?
Oh- It is MyHero reading over
my shoulder and groaning...
Buck up, buddy-
Get busy and it will be done
before you know it.
What do you mean
that is
MY JOB?
Hmmm...maybe I should have
married a landscaper?
just sayin......

Don't forget to sign up
for my
GIVEAWAY HERE

your photo name

23 comments:

Diana Ferguson said...

That IS an awesome landscape!

From the Kitchen said...

Perfect! Are you sure about those child labor laws?

Best,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

wow,, that will be even more beautiful!!

Connie in Hartwood said...

That is a beautiful inspiration photo! A nice selection of dwarf/weeping evergreens could make this work in your yard. Do you have enough slope going to the water to allow you to plant bushes and not block your view?

Jane, Naples, Florida said...

My hubby would be doing the same! It is beautiful though, and perfect for your yard!

Jane
Flora Doora

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Well, that is just lovely. And we all kmow that you have someone in that family that knows how to do rocks... : ) This will be a fun project to watch... : )
Your view is specatcular, BTW...
(we close on our waterfront property on Mon. & the 1st thing we plan to do is take down a tree that blocks some of the view... : )

Patty said...

I think I like it just the way it is, but if you wanted to do something, you could always build a bigger dock. I'd keep it simple, though. The simplicity will allow the natural view to remain undisturbed where if you do too much, it will no longer look natural and it will lose that tranquil effect.

ShabbyESP said...

How beautiful!!!'How lucky for you because you already have the "stoner" to help you out right?
Hope your weekend is wonderful!!!
Suzann ~xoxo~

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That is beautiful! And it wouldn't interrupt the view at all.

Gina said...

That is some beautiful landscape! Just so long as it doesn't ever obstruct that view...

Sweet Tea said...

I think you view is "perfection", I'd leave it as it is. BUT, that is beautiful landscaping in that photo. I'm a bit on the lazy side so I see the photo and think of all the work involved. *smile You live in a beautiful area. Mmmmmm Good!!

Tete said...

How much does your property slope? Could you do a retaining wall like that? I love the stone used in the photo- long and flat, low. Maybe you could get rockman to visit for the weekend and do his magic here. Check at your nursery for low growing, low maintenance plants- they can help so much.
Good luck on your next project.

At The Picket Fence said...

That would be lovely! Your husband sounds like mine, he groans when he see's me browsing the computer or when my eye starts roaming around the house looking for projects. ;) I sure do love your view! Just gorgeous!

Heather

Julie Harward said...

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THE WORK, IT IS A GREAT IDEA! AND I THINK THOSE ARE GRANDMA'S RULES NOT CHILD LABOR LAWS! ;D

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, Diana, that is a gorgeous landscape! Do you think hubby will get started on it this weekend? :)

Donna said...

Nothing like living on the water, is there, Diana? I love your view, and that landscaping is gorgeous, sounds like your Hero better get busy! I can't wait til I'm back living right across the lake from you:)

Michele Smith said...

Beautiful view, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Uh oh! Don't tell my son about those chld labor laws...he'll be pulling that card next time I ask him to pull weeds. hahaha

Have a happy weekend!

Laura said...

Diana, your garden is just amazing!! such a beautiful location! you are so lucky to live right on the water! I am sure you could manage to get the kiddos helping in the garden - you are too clever, i bet you could persuade them! hope you are enjoying the summer heat!
what i wouldnt give to have a beautiful 30degree day.... sigh!!
Laura xxx

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

You are doing a beautiful job with the landscaping....I am just below you a bit in Port Huron! Not on the water, but two blocks from it!
Enjoy this wonderful weather we are having!
Jil
xo

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Looks like a great solution! And you would certainly enjoy looking out to when you facing the water. It's such a beautiful view.
Happy Weekend~

Romeo said...

Child labor laws and you checked....LMAO!!! You have THE best sense of humor!!!! Makes ready your blog such a joy!!

Now, on other news....I am LOVING the picture of the landscape solution!!!! And I do mean LOVE!!! You know I never really thought about the problem/challenge that lake front would create, but there it is - hmmmmmm....well, I'm glad you have found the solution. Romeo wants to know if it's done yet. He says he'll stop by and inspect it if you'd like ;)

I hope you have a great weekend!!!!

"Her" and Romeo

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That is beautiful landscaping, my husband would moan too and I'd tell him the same "get moving"!
I love the bows, I'll be back to see how you do it, a sewer I'm not but I'll give it a try and the girls look so cute with them in their hair!

Leo said...

I can not wait to see the finished product. It looks like you have the MOST AMAZING yard. What space. There would be 4 houses on your lot where I live. Ok - maybe 3. I live on the water too and landscaping is hard -not because of the view - but because of the salt level in the soil. Alot of things wont grow.