Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cork-Screw Bows-Tutorial- (Kinda)

I'll tell you-
This week is not going
the way I had hoped it would.
I do have a tutorial
but it is not as elaborate
as I had planned.
This post is heavy
on pictures for anyone that
is using dial up internet.

Here is a brief tutorial
on making
CorkScrew barettes like
this one.

List:
1/8" dowels cut to about 18" length.
wooden clothespins
Ribbon of choice-4 yards for each bow
(6 yards for a really full bow)
Fray Check (or Elmer's school glue)
heavy duty needle and thread
hot glue gun.
Oven preheated to 275º
Spray starch -optional


You will need.
3/8" ribbed ribbon,
Polyester works best.
It looks like curling ribbon that you
find in the gift wrap section-
but you will find it in the
sewing/fabric/craft section.
For each bow like the one
above you will need
4 YARDS of ribbon.
For the above bow
Cut ribbon into
12 (12" pieces)
Wrap each piece tightly around
the dowel and pin in place
with a clothes pin.

Spray lightly with spray starch.
Let them sit several hours before baking.

I let them sit overnight if I
am using the spray starch.
This one does NOT have
the spray starch and is just baked~
this has always worked for me.
I used the spray starch in the beginning
but have not used it for the last couple
of years.
I just wrap and bake.
I bake about a dozen per sheet
each time and lay them across
the cookie sheets.

Bake at 275º for 15 mins.

Test one by unwrapping a bit.
If it holds curl you are done.
If not bake another 10 minutes.
Removed from oven and let cool.
When completely cool remove
from the dowel.

Stack curly pieces on top
of each other-reserving one piece.
Using the piece you have set aside,
Tie it tightly right around the center
of the stacked pieces.
Pull tight and tie it a second time.
At this point you can sew it
or tie it onto the clip,
or you can hot glue it on clip.
I use these.
I also cut a short piece of ribbon
and hot glue it flat onto the
top of the clip before I
attach the ribbons to it.
It makes it look much more
finished and I forgot to take
a picture of that!
The finding I use below are
about 3" long.

You can also use the
clips shown below,
but I find the kids lose them
a lot easier when they just clip on
rather than being anchored in.


Put a dab of fray check on
all the  ribbon ends-or a dab of
Elmer's School glue to keep
the ends from fraying.

Fluff it out-that's it-easy peasy~

Here is one made using a regular
bow and some corkscrew bows.
I really prefer the ones that are
all corkscrews but the little girls
like the combo.



I stacked 3 curly ribbon pieces
on top of the bow,
wrapped it with heavy string,
put a small piece of straight ribbon
around the center where it was tied
and sewed it together in the back.
You can either hot glue the
button onto the front
or sew it down thru the layers.
Either sew it onto the
barette fihding or hot glue it.
You can see on the bottom of
this post how I sew the
bows onto the barrette finding.

Anyone want a quick show
of making this one?

Here's a white bow on a clip.

I glued some white ribbon
over the ends of the clip
so you don't see metal
when it is on the girl's head.
My favorite-
using wire edged ribbon-

This is one long piece
about 24" long-
formed into a double bow.

Using the same ribbon with
a loose knot in the center,
(this is NOT the same ribbon
I am just using this to show
you what I am talking about)
sewed onto the backing
and a small fabric flower
hot glued to the center.
This soft, pink one is
SweetCheeks
VEHRY FHAVORHITE IN THE WURRLD!

your photo name

16 comments:

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Well, those are so pretty. Do you sell them also??
I have noticed that Sweetcheeks almost always has a bow in her hair...Now I know.. Nana makes them : )
& I have been sewing my whole life & never knew that you can bake ribbon.. : )
Thanks for stopping by earlier...maybe we will have a girl & I can come back to this & make some of my own..
Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

,great tutorial, they really are beautiful bows,, I would imagine you can save a lot of money by making our own,,

Patty said...

Cute! I like the pink one, too. But - I am also really liking the one done in fall colors. And I've made bows, but didn't know how you got ribbon to curl and stay curled. I'll have to try that.

Debby said...

Such great advice. Thanks for going to the trouble to show us your bows.

Connie in Hartwood said...

THIS brings back memories! I made almost all of the bows our daughters wore in their hair when they were little. I sure wish I had granddaughters, because they would SOOO be wearing curly bows in their hair! Thank you VERY much for showing us how to do this.

Pardon me, I have to go curl some ribbon now. :)

Julie Harward said...

WOW, you are good lady..love these, each one is so cute! I didn't know that it was done this way, cool. :D

Michele Smith said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I'm going to have to make my girl some bows...it'll definitely save some money!

Sweet Tea said...

Now you tell me when all my Grands think they are too old for bows! Do you sell these? You should - you could make some money!!

Daniella said...

That is an awesome tutorial!! I always think more information is better than not enough!
Those girls will look fabulous for school!
xxDaniella

Cindy Adkins said...

OH MY GOSH, Diana--these are gorgeous AND amazing!!! WOW!! I love them all but that yellow and orange is so perfect for fall..It brings back memories of when my Jenny was little. Where did the time go? Your tutorial is purely fantastic, my friend!

XO
Cindy

debi said...

Diana, your barrettes are beautiful! I really love the one with the fall colors. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I am saving this for sure, Diana. Thank you for such a lovely tutorial. Dying to take a crack at doing these.

Have a beautiful day.
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Tete said...

You do such a good job explaining things...love the bows. Never had to do this kind of thing having boys and all, but you never know when I might need to start.
Hugs-Tete
PS- I use a wooden spoon...

Janet said...

That's such a great tutorial! I never knew how to make the corkscrew bows! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Janet

Annesphamily said...

You are so talented! I love these! SO pretty and colorful! I remember when my three girls were small...Ah...memories!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I always wondered how to get those curls! Thanks for the tutorial. Some day, my granddaughter will have enough hair for some bows!