Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Recipe Book

I was reading Mommy of a Monster's bucket list and she was talking about a recipe book. Check http://www.mommyofamonster.com/2010/05/my-bucket-list.html. I'm sure there is a nicer way to post that but don't ask me how. I just type- I don't "DO" things. Like- I wish I knew how to make my blog all pretty like some (most) of them are. I wish I knew how to draw a line through things (haven't figured that out-wait a minute...gotta try something....nope THAT didn't work either so that wish remains). I wish I knew how to add music to my blog...oh, and that side bar thingy with everyone's blog listed on it...and...the people I follow...I'm sure there is a way to do it and if I can ever get the TPot over here for a day she will show me how. But as of now, I just keep typing and Thank You God!-I finally learned how to get pictures in my blog...and then scanned back through and put pictures on all my previous writings...I know...I know...it's a sickness!

So...this started out to be about recipe books. I have one that I have used since I got married and it is full of stains-some of the pages are stuck together-some of the pages are missing. My Mimi found a copy on eBay and bought it for me. Strangely, neither girl wanted the old one-I don't wonder why!

I have a box with MyHero's grandmother's recipes in it....and I have an old cookbook that belonged to my mother. I have a special recipe book from MyHero's other grandmother that has her family name on it.

BUT-the recipe book I DON'T have is the one my mother-in-law, Betty, (God rest her soul) gave to her youngest son when he left for college. It was formed of 3x5 index cards. Betty, in all her goodness, was not a very good cook. As a matter of fact, she was an awful cook....(sorry, boys...tired of lying about your Mother). One of the recipes was for Pork Chops. Huh? Hard to screw up porkchops you say? Read the recipe below:

PORK CHOPS
Heat oven to 350ยบ (ok so far)
Put pork chops in pan (ok-still ok)
Bake until hard! (HUH?) I guess that is so you don't get pinworms?

Her other favorite was a casserole. Any kind of casserole will do. Just add a can of soup and tater tots on the top. Yep! She loved her tater tots. Chicken casserole? Tater tots! Turkey ala King? Tater tots! Scalloped potatoes? oh...wait...we don't have those because we have TATER TOTS.

Well, I have places to go and people to see today. Today would be a good day for a casserole, wouldn't it? Nah...never mind~ I am fresh out of tater tots!
your photo name

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Diana, I hate to tell you this, but your MIL just changed her last name and moved south. I won't give her last name, as she may find the internet, oh wait, she already has...but she doesn't do blogs right now. Anyway, lets just say a can of soup and tater tots adorn more of her dishes than I care to mention. And things that are supposed to be baked until hard, aren't, and those that aren't, are....

Jettie said...

My very favorite recipe book, is one that I got from the our high school. All the recipes were from Home Ec teachers way and was published way back in the dark ages when I was a Junior. I bought 2 or 3, one was a dessert cookbook, that got borrowed about 32 years ago, and never returned. The one I still have is Meats and Casseroles, which I refer to quite often, and though I don't think any of the pages are stuck together, they are stained and a few are loose.
I'm not the 'bestest' cook, but I've never had too many people leave the table hungry. And I must admit, most go back for 2nds.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the shout out! I collect old cookbooks, and so I love your pictures :)

Unfortunately, my mom wasn't much of a cook. For my bridal shower, everybody was supposed to give me their favorite recipe. My mom's was for cake: 1. Buy box at the store 2. Read directions 3. Do what it says. 4. Invite me over to enjoy it! So all my recipes are either from my hubby's mom (who passed away several years ago) or mine alone.

I can help you with some of the blog things you mentioned! I'll try to get an email over to you today - most are pretty simple if you know where to go to do it :)

Pauline said...

love cook books