Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Aunt Bice


The beautiful lady above?
It's my Aunt Bice.
Her real name was Berniece~
But I didn't know her real name until I was almost grown.
She lived in town.
But she loved to come to the farm~
For Sunday dinners and parties~
She brought a bit of class
To the hill top farm where I lived.

My father had 4 sisters that lived to adulthood.
And he loved all of them~
He had a special place in his heart for each of them.
And a special nickname for each one.
My understanding is that he gave Bice her nickname.

And as for her? Well, she absolutely adored him.
She always called him Bum~
I guess she had a way with nicknames too..
Although he certainlyWASN'T a bum!

She was a beautician that gave me a home perm every year.
Whether I needed it or not.
I usually did.
Remember how awful those old home perms smelled?
Even the dog couldn't stand me!

Every summer

Aunt Bice would take me to stay with her
And my cousin Mary Frances
Who operated the beauty shop with her mother
Down in the Valley
In a little town called Towanda.
Aunt Bice made me feel very special,
Maybe because I reminded her of my father.
Maybe just because she loved me.

She has been gone many years,
But she is never far from my heart.
I think she and my father are probably
having little Sunday parties in Heaven...
And, someday, if I mind my p's & q's~
We will all celebrate Sundays together again.
Amen!
your photo name

4 comments:

maddie/cadesmimi said...

What a nice post! I love those nicknames--my daddy's family had nicknames, too. Ah...I remember those home perms all too well LOL The pic with the dog is too funny :)

Shugee @ Blue Heron Cottage said...

Oh Diana, I love this post! So sweet. When you write about your family it cracks me up and makes me smile. The love and interesting characters, thanks for sharing them with us.
hugs,
Kim

Jettie said...

Finally.
It wouldn't let me post a comment.
Oh how I remember those home perms. And it seemed you had to wear those curlers forever.

I was so happy when we actually had a beauty shop in our town and we could go get a real perm.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Sounds like your Aunt Bice was a very special woman. Those we love are never far from our hearts and I have a feeling you're right about those parties in Heaven.